Hot water doesn't last

Users who are viewing this thread

bajaboy1

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked many times, but the solutions haven't helped me as of yet.
Culprit: 2001 AO Smith gas 40 gallon water heater.
Problem: Hot water only lasts about 10 gallons. Luke warm after 11 and getting cold at 12.

I've cleaned the tank.
I've replaced the dip tube (which was fine).
I buttoned up the air so I have no leaks, have a nice blue flame.

Any advise appreciated.

Last edited:

bajaboy1

Reaction score
To add.
Water heater turns back on after 5 gallons used.
Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Culprit: 2001 AO Smith gas 40 gallon water heater..

That puts it at 11 years old. Maybe it looks like this on the inside.

Lime-on-10-Year-Old-Tank-226x300.jpg

bajaboy1

Reaction score
I suppose it could! I've flushed it since new a few times a year though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Last guy that had this problem found a leak in the pipes under the house. It doesn't take much to minimize the hot water available. Do you get warm water at any other faucets in the house? A defective faucet that's creating a cross-over can limit the amount of hot water available, too.

bajaboy1

Reaction score
No leaks anywhere. It happens at any shower or faucet in the house. Should the water heater turn on sooner?

Last edited:

bajaboy1

Reaction score
Could the temp probe be scaled up or bad causing issues? Only thing I haven't checked or changed.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
While just replacing things on the chance that that piece/part might be the problem isn't a very sound method, in this case, an 11 year old water heater is likely about served out its life anyway. The A O Smith is not a favorite heater among the plumbers on this forum, so that might also be a good reason the get a new heater. If that doesn't fix the problem, then of course you'll have to look elsewhere, but the heat is really about due anyway.

bajaboy1

Reaction score
I thought they were good till they start leaking, rusting out. What else goes bad on the inside to prevent heating up? And thanks all.
And what brand do you recommend?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Mineral deposits can deplete the volume and act like a big insulator. The 'average' WH probably only lasts 6-8 years. Yes, some can last much longer than that, but for practical purposes, at 11, if it's not working properly, it probably isn't worth mucking with. FWIW, often, the only difference in a longer warranty is (maybe) a better sacrificial anode and the warranty...it's often the same tank, you're only paying the insurance betting it won't last that long.

bajaboy1

Reaction score
See the pic.Didn't think that was "normal" when you take care of it.
So I need a new one. Mine has the power vent on it, no chimney. I suppose this is just a regular water heater with the power vent, correct? Can be reused on another heater?
Thanks again

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked many times, but the solutions haven't helped me as of yet.
Culprit: 2001 AO Smith gas 40 gallon water heater.
Problem: Hot water only lasts about 10 gallons. Luke warm after 11 and getting cold at 12.

I've cleaned the tank.
I've replaced the dip tube (which was fine).
I buttoned up the air so I have no leaks, have a nice blue flame.

Any advise appreciated.

If the water comes out Hot in the first place then it must be heating.

The mixing of cold coming in to hot going out will affect the Output Temperature.

The gas will not heat the water as fast as you can use it with Hot wide open.

Most people add some cold water to the hot and can take a normal shower.

If your recovery is slow, than that is a different problem.

Maybe your thermocouple is out of gas.

May be time for a new heater.

wassermeister

Reaction score
It may not be your water heater after all that's causing the issues. What are your water pipes made of? If you have galvanized pipes or are using well water you may have junk in the pipes that restrict proper flow.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
. I suppose this is just a regular water heater with the power vent, correct? Can be reused on another heater?
Thanks again

Oh NO NO NO! A power vent water heater is built and UL listed as such. It will cost you more. NEVER attempt to modify a WH in any way.,

bajaboy1

Reaction score
Yes, have since found that out. Thanks. Looks like I may go electric since I have that option. Can't see spending $1000 on a power vented.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Kentucky might have access to fairly cheap TVA power, but in most places, a gas WH is 1/3 or so of the cost to heat water verses electric, so factor that into your expected payback analysis.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks