Hot/Cold Reversed & Metal Sliver in Delta faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by seemomgo, Oct 8, 2004.

1. seemomgo

seemomgo New Member

Last night our shower wouldn't shut off - the showerhead had a steady stream of water. We had a similar problem back in May, so I contacted Delta and they sent me the parts to convert our Delta single-handle 1500 series to a 1700 series. They inadvertently sent me an extra cartridge, so I took the faucet apart about 11 P.M. and put in the new cartridge. I found a small sliver of what looks like copper lodged in one of the two holes in the back of the cartridge. Could that have caused the problem, and do you think the cartridge that's only been used since May still works?

My other problem: somehow I reversed the hot/cold. Did I put the cartridge in wrong, or is it some other part?

Thanks for your help...you all helped me back in May as well or I never would have gotten the original apart!

Seemomgo
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I've only taken a Delta faucet apart once and that was a long time ago, sorry can't help on that aspect...

The metal sliver could easily have caused your leak. My guess is that it damaged one or more of the o-rings in the cartridge. It is also possible that where it lodged, it could have cut a notch that gave a leak path.
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

I would guess that the cartridge can be installed backwards. I had the same thing happen on a kitchen faucet.