Hose bib wiggles : how to fix ?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Rime, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Rime

Rime New Member

One of my outside hose bibs wiggles whenever I press on it ( yes, I know, I shouldn't do that ! ) or when I'm attaching the hose or moving the hose about. I have visions of the wiggle stressing the pipe it's attached to, breaking a soldered connection, and creating my very own private waterfall ( in the wall where I can't enjoy it :-( ) Is there anything I can do to stabilize the bib ? It's just a piece of copper pipe sticking out of the wall with the hose bib soldered on.

Thanks !
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You're not going to break the solder connection, but you could bend the pipe. There should be a collar on the hose bib that has holes or slots for screws that would anchor the bib to the side of the house. If this is not what you have, you might go inside the house and fasten a clamp that would hold the bib tight against the house. A clamp that is normally used to attach a ground wire to a pipe would work. I'm not sure of the proper name for it, probably something like "grounding clamp" would give a clerk a clue.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The TYPE of "hose bibb" you have and its connection would determine how we would answer your question, so a picture would be very helpful.