Hooking up my humidifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Bakechad

Reaction score
With the help of my brother-in-law I recently replaced my hot water heater. There was a saddle valve for the humidifier hooked to cold line right above the hot water heater. He removed the saddle valve, replaced the pipe, soldered a tee fitting and put on a compression valve.

At the time we did not reconnect the humidifier because the copper tubing was too short and it was 2 AM. I looked at it tonight and noticed the new valve is larger than the copper tubing that is hooked to the humidifier. I believe the tubing is ¼†and the valve is either 3/8†or 1/2â€. Is there a way for me to hook the 1/4†tubing to this valve or do I need to replace the valve?

Thanks

Chad

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the valve outlet is 3/8 compression, the most reliable way is to attach a foot or so of 3/8 tubing to the valve, then use a 3/8 X 1/4 compression coupling.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If the 3/8" valve is compression-fitted to the copper piping, it's very easy to replace it with a 1/4" valve. I'd probably do that before splicing in a short length of 3/8.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
They make a 3/8" compression to 1/4" brass fitting that will convert. They run about $2 at the big box stores in their brass fitting pegboards. (3 supply houses I checked don't sell it. They make more on the specialized valve..usually $5 a valve and up)

I bought as many I could get my hands on, put them all in a little bag and now I can use them on angles/straights/threaded or sweat valves I have..
920006005.jpg

I wish I would of known about these fittings years ago.....could of saved me a ton of money and frustration when encountering the issue of 1/4" line connections.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks