HEPEX used for supply lines

Users who are viewing this thread

jnugget

In the Trades
Reaction score
a couple years ago I had some toekick heaters installed for my Kitchen renovation .. at the same time, I had them do the rough in for the sink . . I was in the crawl space the other day and noticed on the pex they used for the supply lines for the faucet said NOT FOR POTABLE WATER . . its the same stuff they used on the heaters . . I'm assuming I have to remove this stuff, but was also wondering if it could cause any health issues. . we've been using it for 2 years now . . it says wirsbro hepex. thanks - John

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's the deal. Heat pex is manufactured with an oxygen barrier that keeps oxygen from migrating through the pipe and into the system. On a hydronic heating system, oxygen permeation can cause rust within the boiler. Manufacturers have to pay big money to get their products 3rd party certified for use in this country so the logic is why spend a million dollars or so getting NSF certification on a product designed for heat. The actual pex product is the exact same as the potable water pipe, it just has an Oxygen barrier and although it is not certified for potable water it will never cause you any issues whatsoever so leave it where it is and forget about it. Furthermore the O2 barrier is on the outside of the pipe only. There are no health effects.

jnugget

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks guys. . I had seen on a Plumbing supply website that they said the tubing was actually dipped in a chemical bath, I guess probably just the outside of the tubing? this stuff is clear, theres no aluminum inside it. Thanks again

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, Uponor dips the pipe. You will feel that the outside of the pipe feels a little sticky. No issues though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks