Help with whole house water filter setup on well in Colorado - gauges / flow meters / etc

Users who are viewing this thread

TROLL

Reaction score
Hello,

I am rehabbing my house in Colorado. I am on well water (5.5 gpm sustained flow rate) and am trying to decide on an appropriate well water filtration setup. I had a water quality test done and can attach those results here. I would love input on recommended filtration based on the water test results.
I am also not sure if I should incorporate a flow meter and/or pressure gauges to monitor the amount of water actually being used and when I actually need to change my filters.
Also, I am hoping to start with just filtration and not have a softener in the system and see how that goes for a year or two, then have the option to add the softener if I feel I really need it. Is that ok?

*bonus question: Is it ok to have my pressure tank not be the first thing in my system? Space-wise, it would be ideal if I can place things in this order: well inlet -> water filter(s) -> tee to indirect water heater -> pressure tank -> supply to faucets*

Water Test Results:
Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 9.51.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 9.51.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 9.52.05 AM.png

One company recommended the following two products. Are these all necessary or is there a bit of a sales pitch going on? I don't mind going this route, just trying to make an educated purchase tailored to my needs.
Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 9.53.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 9.52.24 AM.png

I also see some filter housings have pressure gauges integrated -- are pressure gauges important to monitor filter health? If so this seems like a clean way to package them (photo is just an example I found).
Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 9.55.01 AM.png

Lastly, how about a flow meter to track the gallons of water I am actually using with my well and septic system? I'm curious about it, but don't know if there are other benefits to knowing this. I see these range in price quite a bit, if anyone has a suggestion I am all ears.
Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 10.09.27 AM.png

Thanks so much, hoping to order in the next couple days if possible so we can keep working!
If there's any other info I can provide, please let me know and I'll be happy to.
Thanks again,
Bryan

Last edited:

TROLL

Reaction score
Crickets huh? I miss the days when forums were the place to be and lots of good info was exchanged.
I'll update though -- I went ahead and ordered an Aquaboon brand 3 stage filter that had pressure gauges on top -- ordering on their website and selecting the white painted bracket was cheaper than the stainless steel option. I also added a sediment pre-filter. I ordered the water meter gauge as well, and learned that some gauges must be mounted horizontally with gauge facing up, others are designed to be mounted vertically. Water must flow through the gauge in a set direction on most gauges as well. Just good info for someone new like me who is looking into this.