Help with Sewage Ejector Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Hiperco

Reaction score
I have a sewage ejector pump system that has issues with sewer smell. So, obviously it needs to be sealed up better. But I cannot seem to remove the bolts/screws holding the lid down, all four of them spin but do not come out. I've attached a couple pictures, some help/advice is appreciated! (Anyone recognize the type/brand ? EDIT: The lid is about 20 inches across)

imagejpeg_2.jpg
imagejpeg_3.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dayton, means it came from Grainger. Most likely just the pump. Dayton is Grainger's relabeling brand of someone elses pump. Flotec could be the mfg.

Hiperco

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what an "expansion anchor" is, and how I might get the lid off regardless :)

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't get bogged down on all that brand this, model number that. You've got what you've got. And what you've got is the most aggravating POS plumbing fixture there is. Not once in twenty five years of plumbing have I ever been able successfully to unscrew the six bolts that hold down the lid of a sewage ejector. If I get four I go into a state of ecstasy. That four-bolt fruit-loop you have is some kind of regional anomaly. You might consider yourself lucky. Get the large set of vise-grips, clamp them on the bolt head, and rip those f***ers out of there, then you can clean up the lip of the tank, apply a heavy bead of sealant around it and mash the lid back down on it. Then take a handful of fender washers and some screws and reinstall the lid. Yep, screw them right down through the lid and into the flange of the basin. Sounds ghetto but it could be your only viable option.

Reach4

Reaction score
He could try drilling out the bolts, although that is much slower.

Drill a small drill centered on the head a little deeper than the head. Incrementally increase the drill diameter.

If the bit has a tendency to spin the bolt. hold the bolt head with a small Vicegrip or a wrench. As your drill bit diameter gets up to the bolt diameter, the head will lift off.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you really dont need to take the lid off, if you only smell sewage
there is no reason to take the lid off at all.....

just go buy about 3 tubes of clear Dap Alex.... about 2 bucks a tube...
and smear it all over the edje of the lid to make it seal up ...
it around the pipe seals the smell should go away....

the smell WILL go away....

But if you are hell bent on getting that lid off.......

you have to go get a sharp cold chisel and a hammer
and beat the hell out of the bolts till they break off.....
that is the only sure way they are comming off.....

I would do the alex fix first....
o

Hiperco

Reaction score
The concern I have with sealing it with caulk etc is that it will be that much harder to remove the lid when I am forced to. And I am considering a high water alarm while I'm at it (there isn't one...).

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
The concern I have with sealing it with caulk etc is that it will be that much harder to remove the lid when I am forced to. And I am considering a high water alarm while I'm at it (there isn't one...).

the Alex gule will come off pretty easy when someday it will have to be changed out
we have done it tons of times and its no big deal to peel off later on....

but you got to do , what you got to do... carry on...

Hiperco

Reaction score
I am warming up to Alex :)

Any suggestions/recommendations on a high water alarm, while I can still remove the cable grommet ;)

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
a good bead of alex to seal it all up better works fine...

as far as a high water alarm, I personally would not worry about it
because of all the trouble to get the lid off in the first place......

it depends on how big the alarm is,,, you might just have to pull the plug out that holds the
pump wire in place and drop it down through that hole to the desired height in the pit
then glue the plug back in place

Hiperco

Reaction score
Seems to be fixed with Dap Alex Plus spread around the lid. Half the lid wasn't sealing well at all, there was movement if I pressed down on it. I left the bolts alone for the next time. Thanks for the advice! (FYI, the stuff goes on white but dries clear eventually :) )
20141004_174141 (Medium).jpg
20141004_174153 (Medium).jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks