Help with septic drainage field possible leakage on hill

Users who are viewing this thread

ddowhy

Reaction score
I think I have a septic leach field drainage issue. This is a new construction home finished back in April. The issues started the week after we moved in. Where the field is on the edge of our property and the grading drops down a good 6ft or so over about 20ft. So on the side of the hill its just muck 24/7 non stop. It doesn't smell like septic effluent (crap) or anything though so in my head I am just thinking its filtering down through the dirt and out the side of the hill. There is a gallery of photos here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B52Y8nnY5acDeEZ4R3F5eGo1dTQ The pictures are very clear in that the bottom half of that half is just soaked, a "mud-pit", and I think the cause may from the septic field draining/filtering out. My builder says its not, but I disagree. There are strong clues , such as that it wasn't this way until the week after we moved in, and we had a huge drought this summer yet this was ALWAYS soaked mud pit never dries up. Then we went on vacation for 2.5 weeks and when we came home it was dry. Then that same week a few days later it became a mud pit again. All these to me point to septic field draining. I don't know what to do which is why I am seeking any input.

attaching on photo directly: (go to google drive link above for all photos)
IMG_7160.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that a mound system? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mound_system

Your analysis makes excellent sense. The builder's incentive is to not see that is that he would have to bring in more dirt or maybe even get some engineering and/or permitting done?

That mound looks like clay. That cannot be good in my opinion. But I am not experienced or skilled in such areas. I don't know whether you need an engineer or a lawyer.

ddowhy

Reaction score
Is that a mound system? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mound_system

Your analysis makes excellent sense. The builder's incentive is to not see that is that he would have to bring in more dirt or maybe even get some engineering and/or permitting done?

That mound looks like clay. That cannot be good in my opinion. But I am not experienced or skilled in such areas. I don't know whether you need an engineer or a lawyer.

yes, mound system with 2 tanks with dosing chamber and pump. here's another photo. unlike my neighbors though who all have big "bumps" in there lawn for their mounds, my lot sits much higher and the backyard grading ended up being rather "smooth" so you dont have a big mound, though it drops off right after as you can tell.

12716023_10154467049315828_7361416960884864709_o11.jpg

ddowhy

Reaction score
That mound looks like clay. That cannot be good in my opinion.

yea the soil in our area is mostly all clay. cracks when dry. also from quick google search the "classic weeds" that indicate clay soil is exactly what I have growing in my yard Creeping buttercup/Chicory/Coltsfoot/Dandelion/Plantain/Canada thistle

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the field is "tipped" with one side lower than the other, the water will ALWAYS drain to the low side and then saturate the ground there. You cannot fool Mother Nature or gravity.

ddowhy

Reaction score
If the field is "tipped" with one side lower than the other, the water will ALWAYS drain to the low side and then saturate the ground there. You cannot fool Mother Nature or gravity.

yea i get that. is this hazardous? (i have small kids and dogs etc) ... what is the proper course of action? just dump several truckloads of dirt on top of it all or completely redesign the septic field?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks