Help with disposal working with new sink depth

Users who are viewing this thread

dougbohr2

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting new granite countertops/sink and still want a garbage disposal to work. My conern is the current height of the drain pipe going into the wall. My plan is to get a new InSinkErator disposal with a model that has 6" from the bottom of the sink to the center of the exit pipe of the disposal. If I get a 9" deep sink... plus the 6" for the disposal... the exit of the disposal will be exactly 1.75" higher (center of pipe to center of pipe) than the drain pipe going into the wall. Is this high enough? Should I go with an 8" deep sink, and then the exit will be 2.75" higher than the wall drain?

1) is 1.75" higher enough?
2) will another inch (using an 8" deep sink vs a 9" deep sink) make a big difference?
3) what insinkerator (or other brand) disposal do you recommend? (I've heard that the badger series isn't very good... is it definitely worth the money to get an evolution series instead?)

Thanks for your answers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Within moderation, having the wall (horizontal) input to the drain system below the outlet of the disposer nearly any amount is enough. It is a big problem if it is higher than the outlet of the disposer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Within moderation, having the wall (horizontal) input to the drain system below the outlet of the disposer nearly any amount is enough. It is a big problem if it is higher than the outlet of the disposer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The problem with having the outlet below the disposer outlet, but still high, is getting everything to work in that small distance. (For compatibility reasons, almost ALL disposers have the outlet at the same distance below the sink).

dougbohr2

Reaction score
Yep, I've found that most disposals are 6" from bottom of sink to center of disposal exit. Some are bigger... 6.5" and up. I haven't found any that are less than 6". Do you think having the exit height of disposal 1.75" higher than horizontal wall drain is enough for everything to work? Or would you recommend that I get the height of the horizontal wall drain lowered? (need to hire a plumber... cut into the back of the cabinet... tear into the wall... kind of a big project)

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you think having the exit height of disposal 1.75" higher than horizontal wall drain is enough for everything to work?
Does this illustrate your 1.75 measurement?

Attachments

• img_1.jpg
    img_1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,930

dougbohr2

Reaction score
Yes, the only difference is I have 2 separate p traps, 1 for each side of the sink. A 90 degree exit from the disposal (the one that is supplied) will go straight down into the p trap.

Here's what it currently looks like: But with a deeper sink, the disposal exit will be almost 4" lower than where it currently is.

disposal final.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks