Help! Toilet ghost!!

Users who are viewing this thread

AmberW

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal:

I noticed in the shower one day that something was going wrong with my water pressure. The water would be coming out nice and strong but about every 10 mins or so, it would barely trickle out.

As the days went by, I figured out the reason for this! ITS THE TOILET!!! It will make the "fill up" sound and apparently use water TO fill up, but no one has flushed it! It does this for about maybe 30 seconds then stops. I looked at the flapper and everything seemed sealed.

Anybody know what's going on??? :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Replace the flapper, it's worn out. If you don't believe it, shut the supply off and let it sit overnight, you'll end up with an empty tank in the morning. It's possible that there's something caught on where the flapper seals or the chain is caught underneath, but it's almost always the flapper. The hose that goes into the overflow tube must be above the overflow, or it can act as a siphon. There should be a clip holding it up, and not just stuck down the tube. One other thing it could be, but it doesn't happen too often, is if the seat gets cracked or chipped or loose. Start with the flapper, it'll probably fix it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Try replacing the flapper... They never look like they leak but they do!
Also make sure the bowl refill tube that extends from the fill valve to the overflow tube is not stuffed way down inside the overflow tube...

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know...afterall, it is All Hallow's Eve,

8_1_221.gif

AmberW

Reaction score
Thank you!

Yeah kinda funny all this is happening around Halloween huh :p

Ok, so the flapper I shall tackle!

denise1953

Reaction score
It happened to me on ALL HALLOWS EVE too

I have Briggs toilet and the flapper is one longish-plastic piece( blue seal)and is not being made anymore(from what the hardware stores tell me). On the
31st, I had a plumber come out to tell me it's sealed properly and the flapper looked new. He repaired the water flow, adjusted the chain, and told me everything was fine- and it was for a few hours. Then as the trick or treaters came by-the toilet started to flush again- and has been since. it's driving me nuts! Can you help or suggest anything. Thank you very much - Denise

denise1953

Reaction score
tank guts

Can't get pic here- maybe email

Attachments

• tankguts.jpg
    tankguts.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 248
Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Click on the paperclip in the top row of buttons on the message dialog box to attach the photo.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Replace the flapper, it's worn out. If you don't believe it, shut the supply off and let it sit overnight, you'll end up with an empty tank in the morning. It's possible that there's something caught on where the flapper seals or the chain is caught underneath, but it's almost always the flapper. The hose that goes into the overflow tube must be above the overflow, or it can act as a siphon. There should be a clip holding it up, and not just stuck down the tube. One other thing it could be, but it doesn't happen too often, is if the seat gets cracked or chipped or loose. Start with the flapper, it'll probably fix it.

I avoid touching any closet valve ... that will be the next problem. May I suggest you put baby powder in the bowl (not the tank). If the powder is moving around, you have a a bad seal.

denise1953

Reaction score
Thank you- I did put baby powder in the bowl and it did move, as did blue food coloring- so it's the seal then and not the flapper? Can't I just replace the black rubber washer at the bottom-

Attachments

• tankguts.jpg
    tankguts.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 245
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks