Help to unscrew spout collar

Users who are viewing this thread

hayley3

Reaction score
I have every tool imaginable but none of them can grip the collar of the spout I'm trying to remove.
What tool do I need?
I have a Pipe wrench, several crescent wrenches, locking pliers in two sizes. I cannot even tighten the Pipe Wrench enough for it to get a grip. I am desperate...help!

Thanks,
Cheryl

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a Pipe wrench, several crescent wrenches, locking pliers in two sizes. I cannot even tighten the Pipe Wrench enough for it to get a grip. I am desperate...help!
Did you try a 10 inch Curved Jaw Milwaukee Maxbite?

milwaukee-locking-pliers-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hayley3

Reaction score
Ok..sorry I'm a bit overwhelmed when I have to do repairs. The threads broke on the spout, so I want to replace it, if possible.
I dread when someone wants a picture, so here goes.
Sadly I already scratched it even though I had masking tape on it.

Attachments

• Spout collar.JPG
    Spout collar.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 192

hayley3

Reaction score
Did you try a 10 inch Curved Jaw Milwaukee Maxbite?

No, I didn't know there was such a tool! That looks perfect actually. What is good to put on the faucet to prevent scratching. I can't believe I scratched it already and I was very careful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
That big tool is not going to unscrew the chrome thing in your photo without scratching. I don't even know if that removes by unscrewing from the top. The good news is that with your photo, somebody will probably recognize it and tell you how it works.

If you do unscrew, invite any strong visitors to try it bare-handed. But if it detaches from below, anything from the top will be futile.

Reach4

Reaction score
Well done.

Maybe offer some friction-enhancers to your visitors. If you can turn it into an unofficial contest, even better.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Cheryl - Stop by your local Orange Depot store and pick up a Husky "strap wrench" H8STRAPWR; that will possibly give sufficient grip to remove the cap, and will not create any new scratches.

Reach4

Reaction score
Cheryl - Stop by your local Orange Depot store and pick up a Husky "strap wrench" H8STRAPWR; that will possibly give sufficient grip to remove the cap, and will not create any new scratches.
I break strap wrenches, but maybe the one you suggest is stronger. I agree that should be the ideal tool.

In fact, it looks like you could put two on there at the same time -- one high and one low.

hayley3

Reaction score
I found a small Irwin vice grip in an old tool case in my garage and it worked to loosen the collar...The Irwin looks like the Milwaukee Max Bite, but smaller. It was amazing how easy it was to turn the piece with it. So, I have ordered the new spout and hopefully I won't have any issues removing the entire spout when it gets here...or I'll be back. :)

Thanks to everyone who offered me help. I appreciate it!

Cheryl

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you install the new one, put some silicon plumber's grease on the threads. That might help to remove it more easily the next time.

If someone has good grip strength, to keep from slipping on the smooth metal, sometimes a rubber sheet on the thing will help keep your hand from slipping on the metal.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok..sorry I'm a bit overwhelmed when I have to do repairs. The threads broke on the spout, so I want to replace it, if possible.
I dread when someone wants a picture, so here goes.
Sadly I already scratched it even though I had masking tape on it.

That's a MOEN faucet with a lifetime warranty. Call moen and let them send you a BRAND NEW FAUCET for free

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks