Help! Shower Head attachment to water supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Dongrungio69

Reaction score
Hi All -

Due to some poor planning by my plumber, I've got an issue to resolve concerning the connection of my shower head arm to the water supply line in the wall.

The water line was roughed in and the threaded elbox, to which the shower head arm should connect is roughed in about 4" behind the wall. The plumber insert a nipple into the elbow after the rough in, so the water could be turned on and I could finish the tiling. I cut the tile so the opening is barely big enough to let the nipple pass through.

Unfortunately, the plumber failed to inspect the shower head arm before locating the water line in the wall. the arm has a large curve to it, so it cannot be turned to screw it into the elbow, due to the size of the opening in the tile. I need to figure out some way to extend the water line out from the elbow and provide a female end for the shower head arm to screw into. any ideas?

thanks in advance for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might have to search for a different shower arm. Too bad it is that far in the wall, it will also make it kind of hard to thread in the new arm, especially if it isn't perfectly true. Any way to get to the back side - open up a closet wall for example?

Lancaster

Reaction score
How about using the nipple the plumber gave you,or a longer one if needed,and screwing a 1/2 inch coupling onto it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
They do make an extra long arm. You could also tweak the tile enough to fit a nipple with a coupling attached.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks