Help Redesigning my Water system

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
This is a photo of the current system layout that I inherited with the home I purchased 3 years ago. Luckily its all inside a Pump Shed. I also have it Humidity (40%) controlled for additional storage. Its a messy layout!

The water flows like this.
Jet Pump and Pressure Tank
50 micron spin down filter ( I added this)
GE Canister Filter with 5 Micron Carbon Element
Kinetico 2060S Water softener
GE Canister Empty (used for chlorine tablets to backwash the original Carbon Tank)
Katalox AIO (I replaced my original Carbon Tank, show in photo, with this)
House

I am rebedding the old Carbon Tank and plan to add it after the Katalox as a final scrub before it goes to the house.

Here is where I need help.
1. I plan to replace the first GE canister filter with a Big Blue 20" with a bottom drain. Not sure the best cartridge to use so I'd like opinions.
2. I feel there is no need to keep the empty GE Canister that precedes the Katalox filter. If I need to introduce anything like Chlorine I can use the big blue and bypass everything till it gets to its intended place. Thoughts?
3. Any benefit to changing whether the softener is before or after the Katalox?
Water.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
The water flows like this.
Jet Pump and Pressure Tank
50 micron spin down filter ( I added this)
GE Canister Filter with 5 Micron Carbon Element
Kinetico 2060S Water softener
GE Canister Empty (used for chlorine tablets to backwash the original Carbon Tank)
Katalox AIO (I replaced my original Carbon Tank, show in photo, with this)
You would want the KL before the softener if you want the KL to deal with iron. If H2S only, I don't know.
Plus, what backwash rate are you expecting with the KL? With a 10 inch tank, I would think you would want like 9 or 10 gpm with what I would expect would be warm water. With all of that stuff, I am wondering if you will get enough gpm for a good backwash.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
You would want the KL before the softener if you want the KL to deal with iron. If H2S only, I don't know.
Plus, what backwash rate are you expecting with the KL? With a 10 inch tank, I would think you would want like 9 or 10 gpm with what I would expect would be warm water. With all of that stuff, I am wondering if you will get enough gpm for a good backwash.

I have no iron to speak of. Only H2S. My KL system came with a 7gpm DLFC. I timed a 5 gallon bucket fill on the BW. It filled past the bucket in 45 seconds.

Reach4

Reaction score
Getting 5 gallons in 45 seconds is more flow than I would have guessed.

10x54 inch tank?
index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks