Help please--fixed one leak, created another...

Users who are viewing this thread

greenchicken7

Reaction score
I'm working on my kitchen sink, left side. I had a leak between the sink and basket strainer, which I fixed by removing the basket strainer, cleaning gunk from all the parts, and reinstalling with new plumber's putty. That went well, but in the process, I seem to have cracked the black plastic slip nut that held together the pipe draining the sink, the poly washer, and the end of the basket strainer.
Now I have a leak at this nut. Water drips (at an enthusiastic pace) over the poly washer and through the crack in the slip nut. I tried to replace the slip nut with a split slip nut (comes in 2 pieces that fit together around the pipe), but I have the same leak. I tried, as an experiment, to push the poly washer up against the basket strainer with my hand alone, and could never get a good seal. (Is this normal? It's a new washer.)
How do I get a good seal with this poly washer? Do I have to remove and replace the entire piping piece with a new slip nut already attached? I'm concerned I may take this step and still not get a good seal, or break another nut trying. Am I missing some piece of the puzzle?

Pics are of (1) the general under-sink set up and (2) the basket strainer, poly washer, pipe (no slip nut in these images).
http://i.imgur.com/5luAxvx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nQ5mjQw.jpg

Thanks for any advice (well, for any good advice!)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Try putting it together without the poly washer. The flange on the plastic tailpiece is jsut as good as a separate washer and eliminates one potential leak point. Check that the slip nut you use screws all the way onto the strainer and is tight. Some strainers need a metal slip nut because they are shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:

greenchicken7

Reaction score
Wanted to say thanks for the advice--I tried both your suggestions, and ended up replacing the full pipe w/attached slip nut after I couldn't stop the leak any other way. I was still able to do the job myself, though, so that was satisfying. Thanks for the forum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks