Help identifying shower valve

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by seeker_moc, Apr 29, 2013.

1. seeker_moc

seeker_moc New Member

I'm trying to fix up the kid's bath in a house I recently bought. The shower/tub valve still works, but the trim is in bad condition and I'd like to replace it. I'd rather not have to rip up the wall to put in a new valve, but I can't find a trim kit that fits.

At first I though it was an old Moen standard valve, as it's rotate for temp and pull straight in/out for volume, and the screws at the bottom of the faceplate are at 7 and 5. However, Moen trim kits don't fit, the hole in the center for the valve stem is too small, and the holes in the faceplate are just a tad too close together.

I tried a kit for a Delta 600 series, and the faceplate actually fits perfectly, but the knob doesn't. I might keep this kit just for the faceplate, but I'd rather find the actual correct kit instead of just an 80% solution.

The valve stem assembly is entirely plastic, with a round gear where the knob attaches, and three screws that attach it to the valve. The house was built in '85, and I assume the valve is original to the house.

I'd greatly appreciate any help in identification.

Picture2.jpg
  2. asktom

asktom Member

It is a Bradley Cole, or... Briggs, Sayco, Kohler, Federal, Powers-Gavin, or Vance (& perhaps others). Reuse the outer grey plastic piece.
  3. seeker_moc

seeker_moc New Member

Thanks. So basically, it's just an old cheap generic valve? Do you know of any trim kits (preferably brushed-nickel) that would fit this?
  4. asktom

asktom Member

It isn't all that unusual for a manufacturer to build up a valve based on parts of another. I suspect you will find even chrome trim tough to come up with and I don't think all the versions use the same trim.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  5. seeker_moc

seeker_moc New Member

Ok, thanks again for your help.