HELP... DIY solder copper with water in them

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

This may be a repeat since it is too laborious to read all the previous postings, but you CANNOT resolder a leaking joint, not because it has calcium in it, but because ANY leak will contaminate a joint, even if it is only a few minutes old. You have to cut and/or disassemble at least some section, and maybe the entire manifold, to clean, flux, and repair the leak.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to save money, call a plumber and set an appointment. Before he gets there, shut off your water and blow the system down using a compressor. Shut off the valve to the water heater first. If the plumber can come right in and cut off the riser and start to unsweat every thing, he can get done quicker and it will be less expensive.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut everything out, replace with new fittings and new pipe. Yes, it is possible to spend 15 or 20 minutes to salvage a coupler and 20 to 30 minutes to salvage a tee, but it just isn't worth the few cents you "save" on a fitting. Some of that pipe is bent and it would be impossible to do a neat job. Again the time spent against to relatively small cost of new is just not worth it. As far as cutting the pipe, the only way to properly cut pipe is with a pipe cutter. Recip saws, jig saws, hacksaws, and etc. all leave burrs that have to be filed inside and out and even then the fit is sometimes compromised. Do not clean the pipes until you are ready to assemble and solder immediately. Cleaning even a few hours ahead of time is not proper. You can not over clean. Both the inside of the fitting and the outside of the pipe should be shined with a brush cleaner, emery cloth or sandpaper. If you are not experienced with sweating copper, this may be more than you should try for you first time. As I mentioned previously, there may be problems that do not show in the photos that a plumber would recognize and be able to repair.

Pmaru77

Reaction score
I'm no plumber, but I would plan on a 4 hour job rebuilding that whole area. There are nearly 20 joints to sweat in. And the sequence is no piece of cake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks