help did something wrong to toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by tinksplaces, Feb 16, 2006.

1. tinksplaces

tinksplaces New Member

i had a bit of a clog in my toilet and i got draino extra but i failed to read the small print about not pouring down the toilet. will this mess up my toilet now. im scared to flush it incase something happens. :confused: :eek:
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Flush it now. Don't use drain cleaners in toilets.
  3. Unless you are sure that the clog has been dissolved/dislodged, you should NOT flush it now. With the drain cleaner in the bowl, you certainly don't want to risk an overflow.

Before you flush, slowly pour in a 5 gallon bucket of water to ensure that the passageway is clear. If the water from the bucket drains normally in the bowl, then you're safe to flush.
  4. Any caustic drain cleaner can damage the wax ring seal between the toilet and the flange. They're not dificult to replace, however. You'll know if you did, if water starts running out on the floor around the base of the toilet.
    The most likely place for a clog is in the built-in toilet trap. Almost anything can clog a toilet trap (too much paper, plastic toys, toothbrushes, feminine products, etc.).
    If you can't get the caustic drain cleaner to go down, I would carefully dip it out of the bowl into a bucket and pour it down another clear drain.
    Refill the bowl from a bucket of water, and try a toilet plunger.
    If that doesn't clear it, buy or rent a crank-handle toilet auger (made to clear toilet traps). That will usually dislodge whatever is clogging it.
    If that doesn't work, you may have to pull the toilet and clear the tra from underneath.
    Good luck!
    Mike
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

DC_homeplumber is right. When you said "a bit of a clog" I was thinking a partial clog. I should have asked for more info. first.