Help diagnosing corrosion on expansion tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dni23

Reaction score
Afternoon!

Hoping that there are some people on these forums who may be able to let me know what's happening to this tank, and how big of a problem this is!

As per the photos there is what looks to be corrosion on the bottom of what I believe to be an expansion tank, if I've got that right. It's been there for at least a few years and it's gradually getting bigger but very slowly.

What's happening to this tank, and more importantly how much of a safety concern is this? Is the best solution to replace this, or if it is just an expansion, cut it out and remove and join the pipework back up?

If it matters we have a gas boiler, and I don't believe the immersion heater inside the larger tank is used.

Any advise and help on this would be much appreciated as it's becoming a bit of a worry. Thank you!
1000017508.jpg
1000017509.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Yorkshire in England? Never seen anything like your setup. But that devise has city water pressure on it. Needs to changed out now before in blows out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Boiler, as in heating the house?

I don't think that is an expansion tank; those usually only have one port.

Dni23

Reaction score
We have a gas boiler, I believe both heats the house and the radiators, but it's a very old boiler, most likely 80's when the house was built, and this is Leeds yorkshire.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Afternoon!

Hoping that there are some people on these forums who may be able to let me know what's happening to this tank, and how big of a problem this is!

As per the photos there is what looks to be corrosion on the bottom of what I believe to be an expansion tank, if I've got that right. It's been there for at least a few years and it's gradually getting bigger but very slowly.

What's happening to this tank, and more importantly how much of a safety concern is this? Is the best solution to replace this, or if it is just an expansion, cut it out and remove and join the pipework back up?

If it matters we have a gas boiler, and I don't believe the immersion heater inside the larger tank is used.

Any advise and help on this would be much appreciated as it's becoming a bit of a worry. Thank you!View attachment 98594View attachment 98595

Take a picture of the mfg, model, serial number. take picture to plumbing supply house and have them source you a new tank. Replace the tank. Plumber will likely charge you $1200-$1600 to replace it for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks