Heat pump service disconnect

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by mrbeing123, Jan 28, 2013.

1. mrbeing123

mrbeing123 New Member

The package heat pump in question require two circuits. Is it usual for an electrician to run one circuit large enough to run both to a loadcenter by the package unit and then take two branch circuits off of there? And then use this load center as the equipment's service disconnect?

If I understand this correctly(and please let me know if you think I don't)...

Run 2-#2 75c THW and 1 - #8 bare in 2" pvc conduit from the outside loadcenter/meter base on a 100amp breaker

to

say an Eaton 125 Amp 4-Space/Circuit CH Type Main Lug Loadcenter

and and from this, run a whip with the two circuits with wire sizes and MOCPs per manufacturer's specs

Heat pump SD.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

#2 is good for 90 amps and the #8 can be a green insulated it does not need to be bare
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. mrbeing123

mrbeing123 New Member

#2 Cu is rated at 115a per table 310-16. #2 al 75c is rated for 90a. or am I missing something?
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

U R correct