Heads Up if you are buying a new computer

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you are thinking about buying a Mini computer for a gift or yourself then You may be in for a surprise.

I would check the Operating System that comes on it.

Windows® systems with Windows® 7 starter® are the ones that I see to be infected.

The OS will not even allow a Administrator to change the Wallpaper without hacking the System, But that can be done.

Many user are Surprised when the new computer needs a Software Upgrade, Right off the bat.
At the cost of a $50-80 dollar upgrade.

Do Yourself or someone else a favor, Buy the System with a full operating system.

A normal user would have no Idea how to crack it using Regedit just to set the background picture.

That is the first problem that most users see, but there are others.
There are many other limitations that give users other problems.

If you buy the correct OS in the first place, You reduce your chance of System Failure, because of a messed up RegEdit for trying too get something for nothing.

Don't be a sucker for Win7_Starter®, or any Starter OS unless you have to.

They only get you online long enough to Buy the Upgrade.

DonL®

Stephen C

Reaction score
Check out Linux Ubuntu OS .It is safe and free . Do yourself a favor and say good by to windows. I use v10 in one old netbook with 8 gig hard drive and trying v11 in my new netbook .

DonL

Reaction score
Check out Linux Ubuntu OS .It is safe and free . Do yourself a favor and say good by to windows. I use v10 in one old netbook with 8 gig hard drive and trying v11 in my new netbook .

Not sure that saying goodby to Windows® would work for most folks.

Dual Boot Maybe.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
A year ago i bought a HP netbook with windows 7. noticed exactly what you were talking about. a quick google search told me how to change it. I love the little thing :) easy to change/upgrade ram. I added another gig in less than 2 mins. I use it daily. no issues. leave it on standby all day.

DonL

Reaction score
A year ago i bought a HP netbook with windows 7. noticed exactly what you were talking about. a quick google search told me how to change it. I love the little thing :) easy to change/upgrade ram. I added another gig in less than 2 mins. I use it daily. no issues. leave it on standby all day.

You made a good choice going with HP.

I have compared many Laptop, Desktop, Netbook, and the HP is always a winner.

I do not like all of the BS adds and unneeded "Sample Programs"
But if you delete and disable all of the BS, The HP is best by far.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
I've had good luck with HP. I bought a deskop back in 2006. still using that right now. upgraded memory, added hd, 2 dvd-r's, etc but still working. before this, i had a compaq (hp) desktop and a compaq laptop. The laptop died just after a year, but i hear laptops are pretty bad for that, even with really nice ones. i have a dead toshiba here given to me and a dell that is 2 years old that is dead too. I really like the hp netbook though. pretty small, somewhat light. i've held lighter netbooks, but they are a bear to upgrade.

DonL

Reaction score
I've had good luck with HP. I bought a deskop back in 2006. still using that right now. upgraded memory, added hd, 2 dvd-r's, etc but still working. before this, i had a compaq (hp) desktop and a compaq laptop. The laptop died just after a year, but i hear laptops are pretty bad for that, even with really nice ones. i have a dead toshiba here given to me and a dell that is 2 years old that is dead too. I really like the hp netbook though. pretty small, somewhat light. i've held lighter netbooks, but they are a bear to upgrade.

I did a lot of testing before the Gov would buy Hundreds of Laptops.

Lighter is not better. The battery has to have some weight or it is no good.

That is one reason that I am not a big fan of the Ipads. Or CrapTops.

The new Iphone had a problem because of the battery life, right out of the box.

Bigger is better when it comes to battery size.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks