Hardwire to dishwasher

Discussion in 'Plumbing Code Questions' started by Maryn, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Maryn

Maryn New Member

I guess my question is more of an electrical question, sorry: I've replaced my old dishwasher with a new one. The old one was hardwired and the new one has a plug. What do I do with the old hardwire? Do I trim it, cap it, take it off the circuit entirely? As of now it's capped and shoved behind the new one but that's probably not the right thing to do. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The cable should be removed back to the junction box which it originates from.
  3. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Why not just connect the hard wire to a outlet and plug the dishwasher into it?

John
  4. Maryn

Maryn New Member

THanks John and cacher_chick. John, I think you are right in that I should use the existing hardwire. It's safer.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Hard wiring a DW makes no sense. If it did, we'd hard wire electric ranges, and clothes dryers. Simply put an outlet box in the wall behind the DW, run the present wiring into it and install a socket. It you ever need to remove the DW for repair or replacement, this will greatly simplify the process. You will want to leave enough wire on the DW to allow it to slide out for servicing and still be connected. Same with the water line and drain. There's plenty of space under the DW to have the extra wire and water line.