Hardie Primer before installing Kerdi

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Lunker, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Lunker

Lunker New Member

I read somewhere that spraying the hardie board with a "level-quick primer" before installing kerdi it will make things a lot easier because the hardie will then not suck the moisture out of the thin-set.... can anyone second this solution?
  2. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

I used Laticrete's primer on the Durock in my shower prior to installing the Kerdi; I believe I applied two coats a day apart. There were no problems with the thinset drying out too quickly, and since this was my first Kerdi project I'm sure I took a LOT longer than an experienced installer.
  3. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

I used the primer on my cement board also before the Kerdi. I did one coat. Seemed to work fine. Didn't have issues with the thinset drying out.
  4. Lunker

Lunker New Member

Thanks guys.

I sprayed the hardie with primer,let it sit for a few hours and then installed the kerdi. I'm a first time installer, and it went smooth as silk, no drying out of the thin-set and no air bubbles. I was honestly worried about the install, but it was easy as pie.... :)