Grey Water in house???/

Users who are viewing this thread

billy0510

Reaction score
OK I am having a issue with gray water once in a while and cant find out where or how this is happening. I have hard well water that is high in Hydrogen Sulfide. I am using a Culligan Super S conditioner and a Culligan Gold series Softener that where here when i bought the home. I have pretty much rebuilt both of these units including Resin and Carbon. All of my pipes in the home are copper and knowing what i do now about copper and H2S i have replaced all copper pipes with pvc up to the conditioner. (still learning a lot from this site). I don't see it all the time but more often then not I get grayish water most noticeable in the tubs. I'm starting to think its from the reaction from the H2S and the copper pipping or the hot water heaters???? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Billy B.

Reach4

Reaction score
I put in a powered anode in my water heater to prevent any reaction and still protect the water heater. Some people remove the anode and replace it with a plug. I would not do that, because the protection to the tank is lost. You can put an aluminium+zinc anode in, but I am not sure that totally stops the reaction from occurring, and it is not as protective as the magnesium or the powered anode. It usually takes a strong impact wrench to remove an anode that has been in place for years.

I suggest you flush your water heater. Put WH in vacation mode. Turn off the water to the WH. Drain it all. Turn water on full briefly, and then off. The turbulance from the dip tube helps with the cleaning. You can replace your drain valve temporarily with a 3/4 NPT nipple during the process for better flow out, especially if you use a tub and a pump. Repeat drain and water-on several times until gray, sand and rocks no longer come out. I drained mine into a plastic tub, and then use a small utility pump, which I already had, to pump the water outside. That avoided putting all of that water into the septic, and it let me inspect what came out, and collect the rocks and sand.

Also, how long has the Culligan Super S been in service? They say the media life is about 8 to 10 years. I think my iron+sulfur filter is similar to the Super S.

billy0510

Reaction score
First of all the the Super S filter cant be over 10 years old since the home was built in 2005, I have been here for 7 years and replaced the carbon about a year ago when it just couldn't keep up with the H2S removal. I have replaced one of the anode rods (I have 2 hot water heaters) and since it didn't look bad at all i didn't replace the 2nd. Maybe i should give it a look. I'm not sure how the original owners kepted up with the conditioner since the home was a fore closer and I don't know who owned it previously. I was thinking the worse of coarse and was wondering if the copper pipes are just to far gone to stop any type of reaction now???? I keep my back washing up and almost never have any sulfur smell. But i will check the other Anode rod and give things a good flush this weekend. And also look into the power one you have mentioned.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have been here for 7 years and replaced the carbon about a year ago when it just couldn't keep up with the H2S removal
I keep my back washing up and almost never have any sulfur smell
Nice. Since the system is getting the H2S out, I presume that you replaced the media with Centaur Carbon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks