Greensand filter help (maintaining potassium permanganate pot)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ashcalm

Reaction score
We've lived in our home for just over two years and have yet to figure out how to maintain our greensand filter system. We did purchase potassium permanganate but have no idea how to get all the liquid that is in the pot out, what to do with it (how to dispose of it) and whether we just dump the new liquid in to replace whatever was in it.

We would greatly appreciate any advice that you can offer.

IMG_9081.JPG
IMG_9081.JPG
IMG_9078.JPG
IMG_9079.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
I only know a little on this. As I understand it, the controller should suck out an amount during each regeneration. The solution sucked out goes out of the drain line of the controller -- the same line that carries the backwash water.

If your solution is not being sucked out, you need to give your controller some attention. Find the service manual. Clean the injector screen #25 , the injector (#23+#24) which actually is a little venturi pump that does the sucking). Heck, clean it all while you are in there.
img_2.png

I see water on the floor. Is that from the solution tank being full and the solution coming out from where the tubing comes in?

Somebody with more knowledge will have more help. I am suggesting that you get the service manual for your 5600 (not sxt, and not economizer) controller. Start reading. http://www.softenerparts.com/Fleck_5600_Valve_and_Parts_s/30.htm has a link to the 56oo manual. I think that is what you have, although maybe yours is a variation.

Also, measure your media tank (what the controller sits on). You want diameter and height. 3.5 GPM for the backwash rate suggests that it might be 8" x 44" or less.

Last edited:

Ashcalm

Reaction score
I only know a little on this. As I understand it, the controller should suck out an amount during each regeneration. The solution sucked out goes out of the drain line of the controller -- the same line that carries the backwash water.

If your solution is not being sucked out, you need to give your controller some attention. Find the service manual. Clean the injector screen, the injector (which actually is a little venturi pump that does the sucking).
I see water on the floor. Is that from the solution tank being full and the solution coming out from where the tubing comes in?

Somebody with more knowledge will have more help. I am suggesting that you get the service manual for your 5600 (not sxt, and not economizer) controller. Start reading. http://www.softenerparts.com/Fleck_5600_Valve_and_Parts_s/30.htm has a link to the 56oo manual. I think that is what you have, although maybe yours is a variation.

Also, measure your media tank (what the controller sits on). You want diameter and height. 3.5 GPM for the backwash rate suggests that it might be 8" x 44" or less.

Thank you so much for the quick reply and the link to a manual!!!! I will go over this with my husband. I believe the water stain on the floor is quite old (before we moved in). But yes, i'm uncertain as to whether the solution is actually being sucked out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking further, your tank is probably 7 inch diameter or less. A 7 inch tank with a 3.5 GPM backwash for greensand is a bit light probably. If you have an 8 inch or larger tank, you would want to change out the DLFC washer.

To measure the diameter, you can use a tape measure. Measure the circumference and divide by pi= 3.14.

It would be good to get a lab water test for your well water before the treatment. This would be to see what your stuff is dealing with. If you were in the US, I would consider kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ . However they don't ship test kits to Canada.

I also think well and plumbing sanitizing is good, especially if it has been several years. The first line of http://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ has a link to a nice sanitizing article, but then I go into my possibly-overkill extension.
circumpherance

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
please post a better picture of the tank neck area.

The pot perm system basically works similar to a salt system. Dump the pot perm into the tank, it gets dissolved into the water in the tank, the system sucks out the water to regenerate the greensand... very simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks