Great way to clean cast iron sewer lines and more

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
No one is asking you to stay. Yet, no one is asking you to leave. Just better conversation.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Cookie said:
No one is asking you to stay. Yet, no one is asking you to leave. Just better conversation.
yes, he is way out of line to show so much anger and indignation. We do need better conversation. Something like a full sentence to start with. And less repetition. I could blast him 10000% harder. I hardly scraped him when i said the hard text has now been written, and the next things said could be lighter. Then he went and did it again. (As if the guy needed to be blasted again!)

This other guy, who is getting hit, was quite soft in his last post, and the second to last post, and the one before it. Please see that a soft tone is the first step to kissing and making up. I vote we keep him. And promote him.

Somebody has to step in and say stop it you kids, or else sooner or later it may die down all by itself, eventually, after hurting a thousand other readers. Lurkers don't want to see newbies getting blasted.

At some point, angry people have to let it go, especially internet people. Fighting phantoms. The guy can say anything -- to appease or -- to rankle. At some point the whole thing will be long forgotten, and since one has no real way of knowing what an internet person will do next, either in a thread or in real life, then I think it is all best left alone once all points have been made. No need to repeat blaming statements, that is certain. It hurts the forum. Real bad.

I do recognize that anyone could have gotten upset along the way reading the answers given, but ultimately the time has come to stop being angry. Firstly, no one has said they will do the immoral thing. So maybe you angry ones were baited a little bit. No big deal; it's over now. Secondly, when the time comes to sell the building, what he does then is not up to anyone here to spell out and ask for a promise to obey. If I may be so daring as to say so.

David

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
harveymasons said:
Oh cass, come on now, defect schmefect. I wouldn't call it a defect.

I see comments like that at the plumbing supply all the time, things like "The lady will never know I left the vent open inside the wall."..."The smokepipe was a little back-pitched...so what?".
I'll wager any money you'd rather not be the person they were talking about.

There's an expression I like: "Losing the battle, winning the war."
I'll take a short-term loss for a longterm gain.
Take shortcuts...do things the easy way...cheat...you win for now.
I am slowly learning to reap the longterm benefits of doing things right in the first place.
In the end, what comes around goes around.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Morality is relative.

Do I think what the original poster is doing is "right"? No. However, Due diligence on the part of the buyer could remedy his lack of ethics.

On the other hand, if you're tradesperson, oh, say, I don't know --- a plumber, and you go to an old woman's house that you just know hasn't been Blessed with much money, and you do work that you could normally get $500, but she only has $100, do you still do it? Or do you "forget" to return her call?

See? Morality is a funny thing. I wonder if some of the people here are are "moral" as they chime to be. If they are, I have two very good friends that are having some hard times right now and need some plumbing work. Who's the first one to offer to help?

Hmmm?

Just my thoughts. No harm. No Hate.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
OldPete said:
Morality is relative.

Do I think what the original poster is doing is "right"? No. However, Due diligence on the part of the buyer could remedy his lack of ethics.

On the other hand, if you're tradesperson, oh, say, I don't know --- a plumber, and you go to an old woman's house that you just know hasn't been Blessed with much money, and you do work that you could normally get $500, but she only has $100, do you still do it? Or do you "forget" to return her call?

See? Morality is a funny thing. I wonder if some of the people here are are "moral" as they chime to be. If they are, I have two very good friends that are having some hard times right now and need some plumbing work. Who's the first one to offer to help?

Hmmm?

Just my thoughts. No harm. No Hate.

Every once in a great while I run into a "financially challenged" customer. I offer payment plans if I trust their character or if they are a repeat customer, but nothing else.

When I go to the grocery store, they don't give discounts if you are broke.

When you pay your mortgage, they don't give discounts if you are broke

When you pay your taxes, they don't give discounts if you are broke.

When you buy fuel, they don't give discounts if you are broke.

I'd like to see this "moral" issue come to print where it says that plumbers should be giving discounts for the challenged. Mixing emotion into your profession ONLY for the broke is bad business, period.

Had a woman that agreed to a $90 charge (Overtime for a thermocouple replacement)....said she was broke, activated a credit card just so she could pay me.

I run the card, denied. She went to eat at a restaurant with her daughter at the tune of $60 and overcharged the card *right before I arrived* whereby my charge wouldn't follow through. Mind you, this woman was in tears a couple times as we were talking about how rough she has it. I sat in that house until she found somebody to pay me with cash, no personal check since I didn't trust her sitting there with a full belly of rich food.

Here's a funny thing OldPete,

Explain your morality of your known level of knowledge of plumbing @ 181 posts and you do not want anything to do with helping your "friends" with their plumbing?

Seems very selfish knowing your experience, your activity here chiming in about what you know.

Since you're not on the level of helping, give me their number, tell them to join this forum, if I have any "free" materials that can assist, I will provide.

I'll give them every bit of knowledge I can, it will be accurate.

You want a example of good moral turpitude? Ask friends why friends don't help each other out, and pawn the deed to others, like strangers.

Just my thoughts, No harm. No hate.

Last edited:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Got to love it when a person attacks the person, not the topic, eh.

(By the way, most of the things that you think you can't get a discount can be discounted via different public and private agencies -- from housing, to food, and beyond.)

As to the next-to-last line in your reply, I have no idea what you are trying to say, I know I *do* help people out where I can, it would seem that you do not since you have decided to attack *me* (thread count) and not the possible debate.

Next I would question how it is that in the middle of the day you're... well... I won't attack you -- that would just make me behave like you are and that... well, I think you get the point. ;)

Cookie

Reaction score
I contacted 2 Real Estate brokers and found out that all 50 states for residential require a disclosure statement.

There are exceptions.

Commerical
Estate or where the bank owns it or being repossessed
Multi Family Units

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
OldPete said:
Next I would question how it is that in the middle of the day you're... well... I won't attack you -- that would just make me behave like you are and that... well, I think you get the point. ;)

As I promised, I'll help your friends, I'll send free materials if it warrants the cause, and I'll freely give them advice no matter which way you're trying to spin it.

I was hoping that would be your return response as I'm sure your not bluffing me.

Good find Cookie. I guess the viewing public can see why I felt the need to bring caution to the statement as I've been the bad guy to break the news to a lot of people who just made their #1 biggest financial purchase in their life, only to find out somebody tried to hide serious issues that equate to money. I believe the "multi-family" is only excluded because the majority of these property owners usually do not live in them. Owner-occupied changes that scenario greatly, it's a glitch in wording that gives a free meal ticket.

Yeah, I don't work. Huh? Oh wow

Last edited:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
And what if it is done without a broker/realtor?

Cookie

Reaction score
Rugged, exactly what I was told when I asked why multi's were excluded. The owner is not living in it.

I can only say this about what you asked Old Pete-- in my own family, a family member sold a house that was in the inlaw's family for years, and the bad roof was disclosed to the other family member before buying it. I am pretty sure the seller's attorney handled this.

As far as if I asked the broker that specific question I did not.

harveymasons

Reaction score
Hi Froddan,

That picture is Very different then what I originally was describing before we got off on a moral discussion tangent.

That picture is a common drum snake which clears clogged drains and sewer lines by various different cutting heads that are put on the front. IF you have a pipe clogged say 90% a snake will only cut a hole in the clog. The snake is fed into your line manually or by a foot switch.

A sewer jetter cleans much differently and in my opinion MUCH more effectively. Have you ever seen a pressure washer in action?? Imagine a specialized nozzle doing the same thing inside your sewer main breaking up any clogs and scrubbing your pipe walls w/ extreme high pressure. So much pressure that the hose thrusts forward on it's own due to the force of the back jets hitting the pipe walls.Makes for excellent cleaning and unclogging as you can imagine. You can get different types of sewer jetting nozzles to do different things.

As I said earlier, if you have a pressure washer then you are already there, all you need are about 75.00 dollars worth of add on parts and you have yourself sewer jetter that will eat any snake for breakfast :)

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Several times the concept of "due diligence" on the part of a home buyer has come up in this thread. I got to thinking - exactly what does this mean in this particular case? That any prospective home buyer should plan to have the house's sewer line camera'ed just on general principle? This certainly seems like something one would never do as part of a prepurchase routine home inspection.

So how exactly could a potential homebuyer avoid a known defect in a sewer line that wasn't properly disclosed?

Backglass

Reaction score
molo said:
Any homeowner who relies on those disclosuer laws is kidding themselves.

Exactly.

If selling a house here in New York, you must provide a disclosure form to the buyer. The form has three check boxes for every issue "Yes", "No" and "Unknown". What do you think most people check? "Unknown" as that way you can't be accused of falsifying a disclosure. If you fail to provide a disclosure at all, state law says the buyer is entitled to a $500 credit at closing as compensation.

Do you know what happens at 90% of the NY closings? Yup...The buyer gets the $500 credit. I am currently selling a house. My real estate attorney advised me to just give the credit and avoid any potential complications down the road...even though I have nothing to hide on a 6 year old house.

Disclosures aren't worth the paper they are written on...at least in New York.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
oldpete,
what the hell is moral about a plumber taking it in the shorts? Now he has to overcharge somebody else, do it on a day off and take time away from his family, or not make it up and go short on his cash flow. I fail to see the similarity between a plumber declining to get screwed, or a property owner not disclosing a known defect. If you know all kinds of ways to get free stuff out there, have your broke friends get the free goodies and save their cash to pay for a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks