Great Idea For Switches

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Gokarts, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Gokarts

Gokarts New Member

Found this site the other day. www.rightplate.com . I think this is probably going to be one of the most the most useful additions to my new addition !
  2. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Are you the owner of the company?
  3. jbfan74

jbfan74 Electrical Contractor

I can see it now. Put them in and the painters show up!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

plates

I am not sure, but if I remember correctly I pretty much knew what every switch was for after about a week in the house. And unless it is also in Braille, engraving won't help much in the dark.
  5. Wrex

Wrex New Member

Or you could get one of those cheap labelers from Staples.
  6. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

They look neat, in a useless kind of way - hj had it right. There are several things I never see labelled -- switches like these, the drawers in a mechanic's rollaround, cabinets and drawers in home kitchens and bathrooms. I'm sure there are others...

No problem for the owner, but visitors are lost. We were in a rental house in California for the weekend last week, with people sleeping all over the place after a long evening. My wife and I got up early, and sneaked into the kitchen, with her whispering "be quiet!" to me all the way. She wanted light, but she turned on the garbage disposer.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

switch

Even with the plates engraved she would still have turned on the garbage disposer unless the plates were luminous or you had a flashlight, but then she probably wouldn't have needed the light.
  8. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

There was plenty of light, but only a 33 or 50% chance of getting the light - I don't remember if it was a double- or triple-gang. She also didn't have her glasses on, so only your original idea (Braille) would have helped.