Going from single sink with 1 1/4 drain to double sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hammer79

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just found this site and I am excited to access all the great information!

Now onto the question, I am planning on remodeling my main family bathroom in the next several weeks. I am still in the planning stages right now. I just finished building a new double sink vanity. I am going from a single to a double sink. Currently the single sink drain line is 1 1/4". The downstream side of the drain ties into a 3"x3"x3" copper "Tee" that actually has 5 outlets on it. The bottom of the Tee goes to the drain the top goes to the vent and the horizontal run goes to the toilet. There are 2 additional 1 1/2" "stabs" that exit the tee just above the horizontal run of the Tee at 45 deg angles. One of these outlets is reduced to 1 1/4" and has the sink drain tied into it. Ideally I would just tee both sink drains together with 1 1/2" PVC and use a mechanical fitting to tie into the Tee. Unfortunately there is not enough of an allowance on the Tee to be able to clamp on a mechanical fitting and I am very reluctant to attempt removing the 1 1/4" x 1 1/2" reducing bushing. So my next option is to just run the drain piping for the sinks in 1 1/4". Is that up to code? I know you can use 1 1/4" for bathroom sinks but, I don't know if you can tie 2 sinks into an 1 1/4" drain?

Thanks for all your help. This is the only full bathroom in my house and I am trying to hammer out as many details as I can before starting. Oh and I almost forgot I live in New Jersey.

Hammer79

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the tee. It is hard to show a full view of all 5 inlets.

1455732282790-489966272.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks