Glacier Bay vanity top basin drain

Users who are viewing this thread

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Bought a 49" x 22" Glacier Bay cultured marble vanity top with integral basin from Home Depot. Have not installed it yet.

When I test fit the drain pipe, the pipe is not vertical because of how the top fitting seats on the basin. The seat for the chrome ring is a little higher at the back side which causes the drain pipe to be slightly tilted toward the back of the vanity about 5 degrees. IOW, bottom of the drain pipe is closer to the back of the vanity.

I suspect that the drain pipe not being vertical will not allow leak proof connections of the P trap and rest of the drain plumbing to the wall connection. Is that correct or is a tilted drain pipe somewhat common and easily corrected by appropriate drain plumbing?

Thanks,
HRG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
when you tighten the drain into the sink it WILL be vertical, but the front of the drain will NOT be touching the sink. IF using a defective sink is not a problem, (and Home Depot is banking on you keeping it, which is why they sold it to you), then the plumber's putty will seal the gap, and the gap would just let the water leak out of the sink and into the drain when you had the stopper closed, anyway.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
when you tighten the drain into the sink it WILL be vertical, but the front of the drain will NOT be touching the sink. IF using a defective sink is not a problem, (and Home Depot is banking on you keeping it, which is why they sold it to you), then the plumber's putty will seal the gap, and the gap would just let the water leak out of the sink and into the drain when you had the stopper closed, anyway.

Tried tightening the drain and you're right that it did pull the pipe more toward vertical and that the front of the drain is not touching the sink.

Unfortunately the pipe is still off vertical by about 1/8" in a span of 4" (the length of the smooth tube that screws into the bottom of the drain housing). Think the pipe being off vertical by that much will affect the P trap fitting leaking, with ongoing future leaks?

Thanks,
HRG

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you had spent much time around this forum, you would realize that Glacier Bay is a cheap Chinese import sold by Costco and other Big Box Stores. It is a label that is attached to many cheaply made, mostly low quality products that frequently have no repair parts. The products often disappear rather quickly and are replace by another model probably made by some other supplier. I would take this back to HD, get a refund, then go to a real plumbing shop and get a known brand.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
If you had spent much time around this forum, you would realize that Glacier Bay is a cheap Chinese import sold by Costco and other Big Box Stores. It is a label that is attached to many cheaply made, mostly low quality products that frequently have no repair parts. The products often disappear rather quickly and are replace by another model probably made by some other supplier. I would take this back to HD, get a refund, then go to a real plumbing shop and get a known brand.
OK, I will do just that. Thank you very much for the straight scoop.

HRG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks