GFI weird issue

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Jeff1, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

We hired someone to add outlets in the front yard. This is a new circuit with a GFI on the house leading to 2 boxes in the yard. When the GFI tripped (a fixture got wet), I reset it and nothing worked. I got out my handy tester and it showed hot and ground reversed. I looked in the boxes (with the breaker turned off of course) and saw nothing obviously wired incorrectly. When the power was turned back on and the GFI reset, everything worked. Since then, if the GFI trips, I need to reset it twice to get the line working again.

What could cause this? I'm already looking at why it trips, but I'd like to know what would cause it to need to be reset a couple times.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A "loophole" in many of the little plug-in outlet testers is that they report and OPEN NEUTRAL as hot/ground reversed. Look for a loose connection on a neutral wire somewhere.
  3. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

Thanks. I'll look into it.
  4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

It will soon fail.

BTW, if you run a 120v test lamp from the GFI short slot to a known good ground it should trip.