GFI weird issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff1

Reaction score
We hired someone to add outlets in the front yard. This is a new circuit with a GFI on the house leading to 2 boxes in the yard. When the GFI tripped (a fixture got wet), I reset it and nothing worked. I got out my handy tester and it showed hot and ground reversed. I looked in the boxes (with the breaker turned off of course) and saw nothing obviously wired incorrectly. When the power was turned back on and the GFI reset, everything worked. Since then, if the GFI trips, I need to reset it twice to get the line working again.

What could cause this? I'm already looking at why it trips, but I'd like to know what would cause it to need to be reset a couple times.

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A "loophole" in many of the little plug-in outlet testers is that they report and OPEN NEUTRAL as hot/ground reversed. Look for a loose connection on a neutral wire somewhere.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I reset it and nothing worked.
When the power was turned back on and the GFI reset, everything worked.
I need to reset it twice to get the line working again.
What could cause this? I'm already looking at why it trips, but I'd like to know what would cause it to need to be reset a couple times.
It will soon fail.

BTW, if you run a 120v test lamp from the GFI short slot to a known good ground it should trip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks