gfci for lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

bobyoder

Reaction score
Is it necessary to have gfci breaker on a bathroom lighting circuit? Room has vanity light, a fan in center of room and a recessed can in the shower approved for wet location. This is on a 15amp circuit.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
What does the installation instructions say about the light in the shower?

This is what that will determine if the fixture is required to be protected by GFCI or not.

The other fixtures, no.

bobyoder

Reaction score
No the can says it is approved for wet locations with the appropriate trim which I have. I ran across a post while researching another matter which state lighting in damp/wet areas are to have gfci protection.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Just because it is approved for wet locations does not mean that in the installation instructions it says anything about GFCI.

In the installation instructions that comes with every fixture it will tell you if it needs GFCI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks