GFCI Breaker (no GFCI outlets) not working, but not tripped

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by dmotes, Dec 1, 2010.

1. dmotes

dmotes New Member

I don't have any GFCI outlets in my home. Instead, all the bathroom outlets are on the same GFCI breaker. Sometime during the day, I lost power to the outlets on that breaker, but it is not tripped. I hit the reset and clicked it back on, but I still don't have power.

What are the possible causes of the outage? Thanks in advance!
  2. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

There is no reset button on a GFCI breaker. There is a test button. Did you try moving the breaker handle all the way to the off position then to on position?
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

To reset any circuit breaker, doesn't matter the type, you generally have to turn it all the way off, then turn it on. That button on the CB is a test button that you should hit about once a month (like on the receptacles) to verify it is still working properly. It causes the breaker to trip if it is working properly.
  4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

If you're comfortable with electricity and you know about the risk of arc-flash, run an incand. lamp mounted in a pigtail socket [any hardware store has this socket] from the breaker output terminal [should be a black wire] to the breaker load neutral terminal [should be a white wire] while flipping the breaker handle.

If no light, disconnect the black wire from the breaker that feeds your outlets and check again for power using the light while flipping the breaker handle.

Post back with your results.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Are you serious?

Are you trying to get someone hurt?
  6. jbfan74

jbfan74 Electrical Contractor

Yes he is!