Getting hosed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joelzme

Reaction score
I have a quote to tile a shower (4'X3'). It's a small enclosure that only 2 sidewalls and pan need to be tiled.

I will be providing all the tile and thinset (I have already purchased). The only thing I need done is the pan poured correctly and the tile placed. Today I got a quote for $500 for the pan and $800 to hang the tile, $1300 total. This is all labor. Does that seem excessive to anyone? I am in Orlando and the housing and repair market is slowing down.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Joel:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That may be cheap...depends on the local conditions. If you have the time, and have some skill, this isn't as intimidating as you might think. Check out www.johnbridge.com and see what all of the home owners have done there. Regardless, it is a good idea to research that site to find out the industry approved methods on how to build a shower. There are a bunch of people that don't do it right (doesn't mean it will leak). Might as well do it right so you will be satisfied for a very long time.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
membrane? What membrane?

you could ask him, "what's a membrane?" and if he says nobody needs a membrane since tiles and special grout are waterproof, then his price is meaningless, irrelevant. If he says a membrane is waterproofing, and it has to be sloped too (to send subsurface water to the drain) long before the tiles get laid sloped (to send surface water to the drain), then his price is good.

If your walls are perfect, and you have already membranes them, you could get the price to come down. But you would already be halfway into the trade.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks