GE Whole House Filter Flow Problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Dave_in_TX, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Dave_in_TX

Dave_in_TX New Member

FROM 2005:
    Wow, that was an old thread but I have the same problem today. I have been using the GE whole house filter with FXUSC paper sediment cartridges for several years on my well system. It has worked well until this week.

I picked up six paper cartridges from the local Big Box Store and put the first one in two days ago. It was good for about one shower and then the flow ceased. Thinking I had mud in the well, I checked and found the cartridge was barely discolored, still looking new. Cartridge #2, same thing, maybe an hour of water usage, then nada. #3 went in this evening. Ditto (what's the definition of insanity?....). The water pressure is fine when BYPASS is on or if the cartridge is left out. It sure looks to me like GE has a defective lot of cartridges. Anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Tomorrow, I'll pick up some compatible carbon filters (FXWTC) and try them. They are slightly more expensive and seem to clog faster than the paper version. What else to try? Am I missing something?
  2. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

I have had one of those filters on my well system for a few years now. Home Depot sells them and it has a clear cannister so I can see the filters condition....They usually have 2 different replacement cartridges.....the white fiberglass type filters and the charcoal colored filters. I found the charcoal colored filters to do a much better job. I change them every couple months or if the filter looks dirty or the water flow seems low. My water leaves mostly iron/reddish residue and those filters do a good job of cutting that down to a minimum. I have never had any problem with filters not passing water when they were new or nearly new and never saw any paper type filter. Maybe I have a different type/model filter though.