Gas Water heater question

Users who are viewing this thread

aaabbb

Reaction score
The gas water heater in our house is in close proximity to our washing machine. I was getting ready to purchase a new front
loading washing machine which tends to vibrate a lot more than traditional top loaders. I was concerned that the
excess vibration could cause problems with my gas water heater since they are located close to each other. I wanted
to check with someone who knows something about water heaters before I purchase this washer. If the excess vibration
could potentially harm my water heater, I will go with a top loading machine machine instead. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What kind of floor is it on? Often, they end up in the basement on a concrete slab. In that case, it shouldn't make any difference unless they were so close that the thing actually knocked against it. From my (limited sample) experience between top and front loaders, my new front loader vibrates MUCH less than the old top loader. It also weighs probably 5x more (the silly thing weighs over 200# where the old top loader probably wasn't much more than 35# or so, maybe 40#).

Is the WH plumbed with flexible or rigid pipes?

aaabbb

Reaction score
It is going in a utility room with a linoleum floor. The WH is plumbed with flexible pipes. I was just concerned that the excess vibration could be damaging to the water heater. Several people that I know who have front loaders say that the vibration is so strong they can feel it in the next room. If the washer vibrated so strongly that it caused it to move, it could possibly knock up against it. We do not feel any vibration at all with my old top loader so this hasn't been an issue in the past.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I was more concerned about whether it was on a cement slab or a wooden subfloor than the covering material. Personally, I don't think you'll have a problem unless they are so close they can actually touch. I'm sure that not all WM are created equal, but my front loader does a MUCH better job about balancing a load than my top loader which would just shut itself off if it was bad. The front loader will stop, reverse itself, maybe add some water, and try to balance itself. And, as I mentioned, the thing is like an anchor...it is VERY heavy. It probably has a bunch of cement blocks inside the base to weight it down so it can't bounce around. Shipping weight was way over 200#, and still over 200# as installed....much heavier than the top loader it replaced. One key thing of importance while installing is to actually get the thing level and sitting firmly on all four feet.

One thing that is true for any open-air burner (not a closed combustion device) is that they don't like chlorine fumes. This is more of an issue from a WM than the dryer, since the dryer is vented outside. So, there could be a good reason to not have the WH in the same room as the laundry. A front loader's door is tighter than a top loader, and may not give off as many fumes if you use bleach.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks