Gas water heater burner won't lit?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Minh422, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Minh422

Minh422 New Member

My water heater pilot light lit! I can hear the gas coming out of the burner unit but it doesn't burn!

Help?:confused:
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Please shut it off and call a plumber.
  3. Minh422

Minh422 New Member

It was a foreclosed home! Do you think there still air in the pipes?
  4. Minh422

Minh422 New Member

It was a foreclosed home and has been empty for 8 months! Do you think there still air in the pipes?
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Who knows. If gas is coming out and not lighting it could be a dangerous situation. Please call a plumber!
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  6. Ronio

Ronio New Member

Your thermocouple is bad

If the pilot actually lights, but wont stay lit after you release the pilot button then your thermocouple is bad. Head down to A*C*E, M*E*N*A*R*D*S, H0me Dep0t and pick up a new one, it will run you about 10 bucks.

If the pilot just plain doesn't light, you have an issue with your line and may need to have it blown.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

IT should not be air unless the lines were disconnected at some time, but even then it should evacuate fairly quickly. We cannot diagnose your problem from here because we have to see the heater and smell what is coming out of the burner.