Gas valve replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ryantosh, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ryantosh

ryantosh New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I am just about finished a kitchen tear out and rebuild and purchased some appliance yesterday. I would like to install them soon but when I checked into the gas line for the stove, the old shut off vlave appears to be stuck open. I am pretty handy but don't feel comfortable working on the gas lines. Is this a job for a plumber? If so how involved will it be to take out the old valve and install a new one?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    Yes, this is a job for a professional. It should not take too long barring unforeseen problems. Basically, it requires turning off the gas main valve, unscrewing the old valve, installing a new one, and leak testing.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. asktom

asktom Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Victor, MT
    Like Gary said, plus re-lighting all pilots and making sure all gas appliances are functioning.
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Jul 30, 2008
    Tech. Instructor
    S. Maine
    "A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood.