Gas valve replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ryantosh, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ryantosh

ryantosh New Member

I am just about finished a kitchen tear out and rebuild and purchased some appliance yesterday. I would like to install them soon but when I checked into the gas line for the stove, the old shut off vlave appears to be stuck open. I am pretty handy but don't feel comfortable working on the gas lines. Is this a job for a plumber? If so how involved will it be to take out the old valve and install a new one?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Yes, this is a job for a professional. It should not take too long barring unforeseen problems. Basically, it requires turning off the gas main valve, unscrewing the old valve, installing a new one, and leak testing.
  3. asktom

asktom Member

Like Gary said, plus re-lighting all pilots and making sure all gas appliances are functioning.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood.