Gas re pipe- PICS- Would you allow this work in your house? Pipe dope inside pipes, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
Family member finally had their repipe done. They hired a licensed/bonded contractor who sounded the most knowledgeable with black iron/galvi gas piping and didn't try to pressure into using CSST or other easier methods.
The 15 minute pressure test passed but we insisted on a an overnight pressure test from the very start. Well, this test revealed two leaks. One was from a T which was literally held on by 3 threads...ie: put on by hand and never tightened up. Had we only done the 15 minute test, we wouldn't have found it.

So....after removing some of their work to get back to the leak, we noticed every one of their joints has pipe dope INSIDE. Is this going to cause trouble later? Should we insist they redo the work? Let it slide? The fact we found two leaks is concerning me as well. I'm thinking of telling them to tear it all out, clean the pipes with a wire brush, and re thread everything more carefully. Is that asking too much or is this work "standard"?
HCItBLR - Imgur.jpg
JpYkzDX - Imgur.jpg
Sq3Xufo - Imgur.jpg
VD9KNqH - Imgur.jpg

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
THAT PIPE DOPE WILL DEFINITELY CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH ALL YOUR GAS VALVES, !
IT WILL BREAK LOOSE AND FLOW DOWN STREAM TO CLOG THE GAS VALVE INLET SCREENS CAUSING THEM TO POSSIBLY
STAY AND RUN WILD, !!!
I WOULD GET A PLUMBING INSPECTION ASAP !!

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
THAT IS THE SLOPPIEST JOB I HAVE EVER SEEN IN OVER 35 YEARS AS PLUMBER,
IT LOOKS LIKE A FIRST YEAR APPRENTICE WORK

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Who is this "we" that did the test? It's the plumbers responsibility to do the test and if there is a problem, to correct it and pass an inspection. You voice your concerns to the inspector. It almost looks like the plumber just stuck the pipe end into a can of dope. Not good!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How was the 15 minute test done, because THAT should have revealed the leaks you say you found. Why did YOU take the piping apart instead of calling the plumber? The pipe dope inside the pipe should not have happened but does NOT create any problems, since you are dealing with a "gas", not a liquid.

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
HJ- The 15 minute test was done with the plumber's 15psi gauge. All new work capped, no valves left in place. System pressurized to 15psi. They wanted to leave after 15 minutes of no visible drop in the gauge. However, they agreed on an OVERNIGHT leak test when they were given the job as that was a FIRM stipulation of hiring them. Of course, they tried to get out of it at the last minute saying "15 minutes is all that is required" but my family member held them to their word on the overnight.

The overnight showed a 5psi drop.

Their work was already in question as we had to call them on a few BS issues along the way, like not using bushings, seeing dope inside their joints, etc.

My family asked me to check out their work after they noted a drop in overnight pressure. We bubble tested the system ourselves. The leak we found was near the end of a run so I took it apart because I wanted to see their work and see if the leak was a "sh it happens" thing or just negligence. That's when we found the elbow which was not tightened at all. As in, threaded on just far enough to hold for fitting/measuring. This pissed me off as
1. It would not have been found had they talked my family out of the overnight test.
2. Could have been very dangerous if the joint was knocked loose.

That's why I use the words "we".

They are going to remove every single piece they installed, clean all the pipes, and reinstall one joint at a time.

Do you have suggestions on cleaning the dope from inside the pipe without damaging the galvi coating? I was thinking 3/4 and 1" brushes used for cleaning copper tubing and maybe some acetone. Ideas? Thoughts? All ears here.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
They must have doped the internal threads of the fittings, and when they screwed pipe into the fittings, the dope in the fitting was pushed past the threads and deeper into the fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks