Gas Line - To tee or not to tee?

Users who are viewing this thread

jwilson

Reaction score
I'll take your word for it that the NFPA code says no bushings of any material.
So then there's two codes and one says you can and one you can't?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No bushings, no cast fittings, no close nipples and around here no galvanized. Oh and no gas fitters license, no premit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bushing

The ONLY malleable iron bushing is 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" and that is only because the two sizes are so similar the cast would be even more fragile. Forged bushings would be okay, but would cost more than a proper fitting.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Use the proper reducing tee and you will not need a reducing coupling OR a bushing. BUT, that valve will be a redundant one, because you WILL NEED one above the floor behind the range.

When my furnace was installed I had them rerun the 1" main line because the furnace and water heater were also moved. Both unites were replumbed with reducing bushings (black, not cast) from a T in the 1" to the 1/2" for the appliances. We also only have a valve in the basement for our stove. I DID talk to the building inspector about it during our remodel. The stove was also moved. I told him I wanted to put a valve in the basement where it could be easy to get at. I would also add the required valve behind the stove. He said not to bother with the one behind the stove because no one would be able to reach it any way. My gas dryer has a valve in easy reach right behind it AND one in the basement before its supply enters a crawl space.

I have 2 points. The valve in the basement is a good thing. I would rather have an extra valve in easy reach than not be able to isolate a part of the system. My second point is the AHJ (AKA building inspector) IS the one who decides what's ok and what is not. Talk it over with him or her.

jwilson

Reaction score
I just spoke with my inspector. The governing code is the IGC not NFPA 54. NFPA 54 is a reference. Malleable iron bushings are permitted, cast iron bushings are not.

Msgale

Reaction score
BTW - I was questioning the bushing thing in my head, did some research and found that the IFGC DOES NOT prohibit bushings generally - it PROHIBITS CAST IRON bushings and CI pipe in gas, thus as far as I can see the bronze bushing shown is fine, as would be a black (malleable) iron bushing.

You might be misreading the book:
it addresses what is allowed as far as cast iron,
That paragraph does not address what is allowed for blackiron, and other pipe types.

jwilson

Reaction score
I don't think so, it says specifically what is allowed, which includes malleable iron, and then specifically excludes cast iron bushings.

It does make sense that cast iron bushings are not allowed and it also makes sense that that exclusion has morphed into a generally accepted practice that no bushings, or other cast components - even if they are malleable iron, are not allowed.

It just didn't make sense that gas valves would be supplied with bushings if the code didn't allow them, so I did some research and checked with my inspector and posted what I found. Other inspectors may have different opinions, and certainly some professionals don't agree.

Ultimately I'm not arguing that what is a generally accepted practice of professionals should be discontinued, just that not all generally accepted practices are required by code even if they are better or safer.

Reg

Reaction score
Finished it.

It is finished, the bushing is gone. It held 24 PSI for six hours.

Thanks for everyone's help and comments.

Attachments

• Pipe Done.jpg
    Pipe Done.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 410
  • Pressure (Small).JPG
    Pressure (Small).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 382
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks