Gas Line - To tee or not to tee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reg

Reaction score
I ran this 1/2" gas line about 8 years ago to accomodate a gas grill. I now need to run a line to a gas range. At the far right in the photo you can see a coat hanger wire protruding through the plywood - this is directly below where the range will sit in the kitchen above. My question is, is it acceptable to add a 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" reducing tee and run both the range and grill from this valve? Otherwise, I will have to go 14 feet downstream to the next capped-off valve.
Which is preferrable, the shorter distance with less tees, or totally dedicated runs with more elbows, joints, and length?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Gas Line (Custom).JPG
    Gas Line (Custom).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,820

3m

Reaction score
Is the supply line 3/4 and what is hooked up to this line and what are the btu ratings for the appliances installed

Reg

Reaction score
Is the supply line 3/4 and what is hooked up to this line and what are the btu ratings for the appliances installed

The main supply line is 1". The only gas appliance I have in service now is the grill. I switched my water heater back to electric about five years ago. The BTU specs for the grill and the soon-to-be-installed range:

Weber Genesis 1000 grill - 36,000 BTU

Kenmore 7748 Range -

Burner Configuration: All-purpose: one 9,500 BTU nat.,High output: one 17,200 BTU nat ,High output: one 12,000 BTU nat Power burner, Low output: one 5,000 BTU nat. Precise Simmer

Bake Burner: 18,000 BTU Nat./ Broiler Burner: 13,500 BTU Nat

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Need to consult the gas piping charts.

Also need to get rid of that bushing as bushings are not code for gas piping.

Reg

Reaction score
Need to consult the gas piping charts.

Also need to get rid of that bushing as bushings are not code for gas piping.

Right, I know now - the bushing is coming out when I add the larger line. As far as capacity goes, my calcs indicate I will be okay by a decent margin. I just wanted some better trained eyes to scrutinize my plans. I appreciate the input on the bushing and I'm open to any additional comments.

Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A site search of "duct tape helmet" or "head explode" will probably bring you up to snuff.

Reg

Reaction score
A site search of "duct tape helmet" or "head explode" will probably bring you up to snuff.

I searched and found a few threads with photos depicting fire and explosions. A subtle warning?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes usually given to the non-pro asking for advice on a gas line installation.

Did you see the picture of NH Master's duct tape helmet that he usually asks for to prevent his head from exploding?

He must be slipping!:eek:

Reg

Reaction score
Yes usually given to the non-pro asking for advice on a gas line installation.

Did you see the picture of NH Master's duct tape helmet that he usually asks for to prevent his head from exploding?

He must be slipping!:eek:

Right, I guess I deserve it. I greatly respect all trades and realize that gas is unforgiving. So the consensus is that NO gas work should be DIY?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Right, I guess I deserve it. I greatly respect all trades and realize that gas is unforgiving. So the consensus is that NO gas work should be DIY?

Well most of think that because of simple mistakes a DIYer can make like using a reducing bushing in the gas line instead of a reducing coupling.

Attachments

• reducing bushing.jpg
    reducing bushing.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,491
  • Reducing coupling.jpg
    Reducing coupling.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,504

Reg

Reaction score
Well most of think that because of simple mistakes a DIYer can make like using a reducing bushing in the gas line instead of a reducing coupling.

You are correct - you got me. :eek: I really have no room to stand on that one - plain and simple ignorance on my part. That being said, and no offense to any professionals, I've seen alot of shortcuts and shoddy work done by "pros" who know better. No one cares more about a home's systems and safety than the one who has to sleep there (me), but I also realize that I am not well trained in all disciplines. That's why I came to this DIY forum to get some feedback. I'm not doing this to really save a buck, I actually like to take on tasks as long as I feel I understand a process well enough to do it properly. I do appreciate my shortcomings (bushing) being pointed out.

I plan on pressure-testing the installation and doing it right. If anyone sees anything wrong with my plan, tell me now and I'll bail and call a professional. I'm not above doing that, I just thought this was reasonably simple and straightforward, provided I ditch the bushing.

Thanks again all.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

Use the proper reducing tee and you will not need a reducing coupling OR a bushing. BUT, that valve will be a redundant one, because you WILL NEED one above the floor behind the range.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ah yes I see that now NH Master...

index.php

Looking good as always...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks