Gas line to Grill

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by jadnashua, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Right now, I've got a 1/2" line coming off of a 3/4-3/4-1/2" T to the grill. The grill really would prefer a 3/4" line, but when it was originally put in I didn't want to tear up enough to replace that T and the 1/2" port was unused. I was wondering if for that very short distance, it would have been better to just run everything in 3/4" from there, expecting the short restriction to not affect the overall flow much. I could rerun it all in 3/4 after upsizing it after the T, and it could be either in black iron, or CSST. Would it make a difference? Would the smoother radii of the CSST work better? I know the inside of it is rougher, but don't know whether it should be upsized to maybe 1" to be closer to a 3/4" line in steel. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Well, lots of people have read this, but no responses. Question is, with a reducing T, if I immediately go back up to the 3/4" verses keeping it the 1/2" I have, will I see more potential volume at the grill which is probably 20' of pipe and 3-4 elbows away? Replacing that T will be a major pain, and I would like to see a bit more volume at the grill.