Gas furnace heat exchanger collapse?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by AcidWater, Jan 22, 2014.

1. AcidWater

AcidWater New Member

Furnace is running & fan blowing, but very little airflow from the ducts. Could the heat exchanger in my 1966 furnace have collapsed, letting the flow go out the flue?

Is there a way of removing enough of the front to SEE ? IIRC the maker is Montcrief. Something like that. Would have to check the label...

I did hear a noice that sounded like something falling down, earlier today.

The only diagnostic I can think of is to let it run very much too long without getting the temperature up.

This WOULD happen with record breaking cold and 3 more storm systems being watched...
  2. AcidWater

AcidWater New Member

Well now I know that I don't think very well in the middle of the night.

The filter was clogged, and it could not draw enough air.

Filter 4 months old exactly; I usually go 5 months. Maybe extra animal fur due to cold winter ???
  3. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Good that you found the problem.

Many people change the filter every 30 days, that may be overkill, depends on the blower run time.

Some of the better T-Stats keep track of blower run time, and tell you when the filter should be replaced.

Have Fun.
  4. AcidWater

AcidWater New Member

I think I will install a vacuum gage on the plenum to monitor filter loading.