garage loft

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by teamo, Sep 15, 2008.

1. teamo

teamo New Member

My detached garage is 14x24. I am planning on putting a storage loft up for half of the garage which will be about 12x14. I am planning on using 1/2 inch plywood or osb for the floor of the loft. Will 2x8's be strong enough for the 14 foot span? It won't be for any really heavy storage. Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Those joists weren't designed for a load - they calculate at L/200 or less, depending on species, could be less. That's really bouncy if you walk on it. What's the spacing?

If they're 16" OC, you could probably store empty packing material, but really, they weren't designed for any load.
  3. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

Using SPF#2 you'll have to space 2x8's at 12" on center for an attic with storage. If you use 2x10's you can space them at 24", but you'll need to use 3/4" plywood.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

load

If they are spruce and 16" centers, you can store about 10 #/ft dead load, 30#/ft live load. The actual capacity depends on the joist material, its condition, and the joist spacing
  5. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

From the CWC Span book.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008