Galvanized Steel Duct for Dryer Ducting

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Any downsides to using galvanized steel ducting for Dryer Ducting ?
I like the heavier gauge of the product, and the fact that it comes in longer runs.

My dryer run is not the most ideal with 2 90 degree bends...it is what is is, but I'm inclined to do the run in the galvanized steel duct material vs the thinner aluminum stock.

Whaddya guys think

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I used it for that reason too. I doubt it will be as resistant to corrosion as aluminium but hey, it's galvanized.

And so are the fasterners on my deck.

Outside in the rain.

Remember to tape the joints and not use screws.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Also you have to consider that flow velocity is what carries the lint out of the pipe and the larger the pipe/duct the lower the velocity so there will be a faster buildup in the larger duct.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've yet to find a good trades shop on the plumbing /mechanical side....that was fair to a non trades person......I've got a GREAT electrical supply shop.

I ended up doing the duct run in galvanized 4" round, used mastic as well as rubber buytl (mastic) foil tape. Applied mastic on the *locking seams* as well. It's as air tight as it gets......

On to the next project, which I always despise - painting.
The new BM Aura paint is different...you don't cut with a wet edge. It's like r********* how to paint again.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My supply house does plumbing, lumber, electrical, landscaping and more....

Chefwong

Reaction score
Heh. There's a great one the further I get out east but we're talking a 2.5 hrs drive...
Unfortunately I survive by using the local boxes but things like paintbrushes, recpetacles, etc I go to the supply shop since that stuff is not *watered down*.

I like buying framing wood at the boxes as I go there early, pick nice straight ones, etc....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I've yet to find a good trades shop on the plumbing /mechanical side....that was fair to a non trades person

And WHY should they be "fair" to a non-trades person? If I had a supply house which was "fair to a nontrades person", I would stop patronizing them, because they would be making it impossible for me to make a living, if the customer could buy things at my cost, so that it would be difficult to add a profit to them. YOU, as a customer, can either buy it at retail from Home Depot or similar, or have me furnish it to you at about the same price.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks