Galvanized iron pipe for underwater use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Karl in NY

Reaction score
I'm planning a DIY marine de-iceing system that will protect a dock from ice conditions, using low-pressure high-volume compressed air to bring warmer, deeper water to the surface, via a series of air holes drilled through 1/2" galvanized pipe. It's a major US lake (Champlain) that has a serious zebra mussel problem, but hot-dipped galvanize acts as a repellent.

My question is in regard to pipe specs.
I need hot-dipped galvanized, and am uncertain if most such pipe is galvanized just on the outside or also on the interior surface diameter as well...

The system will run all winter with a vane-type compressor, essentially low pressure, high volume.
During summer, it will get short daily blasts of 150 PSI air to keep the holes open and to expel zebra mussel larva from the lines before they can attach and breed inside the pipe.

Do typical galvanized steel/iron pipes have their interiors zinc-coated also? Is there a spec. I need to order to insure the zinc coating on both inside and outside, for both the 1/2" pipe and fittings, which will include els, tees, and unions?

Any info. would be appreciated, but I'm trying to avoid grossly expensive stuff like mil-spec piping.

Copper pipe is out due to close proximity to a galvanized submerged rail system that hauls the boat into a boathouse, and it appears that while copper pipe is equally effective against mussels, it will create a galvanic reaction between the nearby dissimilar metals.

Thank you in advance-

Karl.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The inside will also be galvanized, (as will be the fittings. Since the liquid would be on the inside of the pipe THAT is where galvanizing would be most needed anyway), but the metal inside your holes will not be so it will corrode and eventually close the holes, especially if they are very small.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks