Furnace Filters size

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by RiverdaleWG, Sep 12, 2008.

1. RiverdaleWG

RiverdaleWG New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    I have a Honeywell hot air furnace that calls for a 16x25x4 size box filter.
    These filter are not usually available from either my local Home Depot or Lowes. Also, they cost over $25 dollars each.

Maybe a frugal type question, but could I use the 1" filters instead, and find a easy way to hold it in.

2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Jul 30, 2008
    Tech. Instructor
    S. Maine
    You're only gonna change it once a year. Is 25 bucks really too much?
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mort

Mort New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Consider it cheap insurance to protect your unit. The one for my Carrier HVAC system is about $75 and I change it in the spring and fall. When I have it serviced each year the inside burners, etc are nice and clean. Probably a little over kill on my part, but the unit looks and runs like new....and it helps to keep my utility costs down as a bonus.

5. Lancaster

Lancaster New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Looking around the web,$25 doesnt seem like an unreasonable price if its a real OEM Honeywell filter.At the popular "auction site" I see some after market ones for as little as 15 and maybe less if you buy a multiple quantity,of course,shipping charges must be taken into account.
    You might check with your local Honeywell distributor and see what they can offer for a cash and carry price.There are still some supply houses that will sell to non-trade customers.