Funeral processions in America...

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
...are way too long. You have to sit there at the lights while every man and his dog passes with their flashers going.

Not so in England. Yes, you should give way to the hearse and one, or perhaps two, immediate family vehicles but you have gone way over the top here.

In England, funeral processions don't enjoy any privileges under the traffic regulations. They're expected to obey all the usual traffic rules. In addition, funeral processions have no special rights of way on roundabouts or at traffic lights. There are no concessions to following vehicles that risk losing contact with the hearse or the car in front and not finding their way to the cemetery or crematorium.

The exception to the rule is when a cortege comes under police control. This happens if it's a very long procession or if it's moving slowly behind a horsedrawn hearse. In these cases the police have the authority to hold up traffic at lights, junctions or roundabouts.

I think you need to regulate. From Washington.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
What you saw is getting pretty rare. Usually thats for the high school carful of kids that were wiped out on the turnpike.

As far as I know, they dont have any special treatment, but no one seems to bother them.

And most end up in a UPS box mailed from the burner, hopefully ashes related to you and not from someones leaf pile.

The wedding 'trains' can be more of a nuisance.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What you saw is getting pretty rare. Usually thats for the high school carful of kids that were wiped out on the turnpike.

As far as I know, they dont have any special treatment, but no one seems to bother them.

And most end up in a UPS box mailed from the burner, hopefully ashes related to you and not from someones leaf pile.

It's not rare in the NY Metro area. We are used to it, and accept it as part of life here. no big deal, just a little respect, and a little inconvenience.

Cookie

Reaction score
I once was told about a funeral procession where the hearse got a flat. My girlfriend said, the driver asked if anyone was a mechanic. There was, but he was the passenger in the hearse, and it was said, he was being uncooperative, and his wife said, he did it for spite.

Let this be a lesson, you just can't count on the dead.

Cookie

Reaction score
Not that you can count on the living either.

Well, you can, but you may not like it. You can count on the living to screw you somehow, but, you don't expect it from the dead.

It was said, the traffic was backed up 5 miles for a couple of hours.

While they sat sweltering in the heat, his wife said, he was enjoying every minute of the chaos he created.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Honestly, I never met the guy, but, I think I would had liked him. :)

Next kid, I have, I am naming him, Chaos. I tried to get my older son to name his son Chaos, but, he wouldn't go for it.

I thought it was a swell name.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
That, would had made you crazy Ian. Imagine sitting there that long, in the heat, low on gas, nothing to drink, or eat, and no bathroom, and no cup in the car. For 2 hours, all because a dead man wanted his 15 minutes of fame. I was told this made the news.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
See, me? I would had used that time wisely, going car to car, passing out business cards drumming up listings. What would you had done? I bet you would had sat there and complained. Not me, I would had made money.

If I had a box of cups, I would had sold them, they would had been worth more than gold.

I got 2 listings at the cemetery visting my family. A man visiting his mother had a house he needed to sell. I got a dinner out of that one, too. :)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
So, Ian, you take that time you see as being wasted in life, and make it count for you. I am never idle, I can't afford to be.

Every moment you complain you lose 2. ( I made that up.) You might lose 3.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I never met the guy, but, I think I would had liked him. :)

Next kid, I have, I am naming him, Chaos. I tried to get my older son to name his son Chaos, but, he wouldn't go for it.

I thought it was a swell name.
Then I gues that Mayhem guy on TV is yours? LOL

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Ian, what exactly are you in such a big hurry for when driving around that you're upset over something so stupid?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm not upset about it. It's just an observation.

And a strange one in a country where most drivers won't let you into their lane even if you're indicating.

That's why I drive an old car.

They move out the way if you drive an old car and just start turning in.

Especially the people in expensive sports cars :).

Pipehacker

Reaction score

When I was a kid we used to cover the couple's car with whipped cream, tie a rope with a bunch of empty cans strung on it to the car, or just temporarily steal the car. I haven't seen that sort of creativity recently. What's the deal, has this been labelled as "bullying" and banned by the properly thinking crowd? Ian, what's the situation in England? Was Kate and Will's Bentley suitably decorated for their occassion?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yes it was but he left the handbrake on.

The worst thing I got on my wedding was glitter all over our home when we returned to it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I hope they mixed it with varnish and sprayed it on.

The worst thing I got on my wedding was glitter all over our home when we returned to it.

We would run a secret bit of rope to the decorated car and tie on a few trash cans - the longer, the more fun.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks