Food Disposer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by newowner, Jun 17, 2008.

1. newowner

newowner New Member

Are there any real differences in food disposal brands? The box stores sell Insinkerator Badger 3/4, 1/2 and 1/3 hp ones with one stage grinding as well as Insinkerator "quiet" models that have 2 stage grinding. The appliance store where I am buying new appliances sells Kitchenaid disposals 3/4 hp and 1/2 hp. The pipe that connects to my current Badger 5 1/2 hp model is very close to the disposal so I don't think that one of the quiet types would fit because they are wider, unless the pipe could be moved. Frankly, I don't really see the need for a quiet model because a disposal is only turned on for a few seconds, but hey, what do I know?:)
  2. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

You should not make a decision based on the drain pipe. the width of disposers has changed a little over the years. You could get a badger 5 today and it might not line up with your old badger 5. I like to go bigger when it comes to a disposer. 3/4hp or better I say.
  3. rburt5

rburt5 Member

Also, I would make sure you get one that reverses each time it is turned on. They don't jam as easy. Check the warranty. A 5-year warranty probably means it is a better disposer than a 1-year warranty. Personally, I agree with you that noise doesn't matter. They're all noisy.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Many of the brands are actually made in the same factory...if you look at them close, the bracket and sink drain assembly are the same with only the name stamped in them different.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Personally I consider the Insinkerator Badger to be the low end unit that a contractor installs in a new home just to say there is a disposer. The grind chamber is galv. steel and will disappear after a few short years. The higher cost/line Evolution models are quiet and have stainless steel grind chambers that last.
  6. The KitchenAid is probable made by InSinkErator. Last time I checked it was, as were most of the Kenmores a few years ago...and the Ace Hardware disposals, and the Whirlpools. I'm sure there are more I can't remember.
    ISE is the biggest disposal maker and builds for many companies.
    Personally, I like the ISE stuff. The Badger line of disposals are builder grade, affordable, and last around 7 or 8 years by me. I prefer the Evolution line of disposals, rubber mounted, much quieter, better grind componants. Theoretically, should last longer. They've only been out a few years so is too soon to tell.
    Some guys like the old G.E.Disposalls and others are Whirlaway fans....I think they're both junk and won't sell them.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

disposer

The Badger line is used in about 95% of homes. If you get one of the quiet models, they will state which previous models, i.e., Badger, 333, etc, they replace without modifying the drain system.
  8. Squ1rrel

Squ1rrel New Member

If you look at the Whirlpool brand, they look ALOT like the Badgers. Given that Whirlpool tends to clone themselves for their other brands (Kitchenaid, alot of Kenmore, and Maytag), and that they outsource alot of their design (look at the water heaters! also their Cabrio line came from Fisher&Paykel) there is a pretty good chance that the Kitchenaids are ISE