Fluidmaster ballcock

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Hackney plumbing, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

American standard used some fluidmaster ballcocks but the were not the normal 400 model. Anyone else see these? I was curious what model number that style was. The float did not travel straight up and down,the float would travel on an arch.
  2. Plumber111

Plumber111 In the Trades

Don't think I've seen one. I do hate the "Yellow Submarine" though. :(
  3. Hackney plumbing

Ok so no one knows anything about this weirdo fluidmaster????
  4. Hackney plumbing

Bump. I thought at least a few people would know. Alot of plumbers on this forum.
  5. Plumber111

Plumber111 In the Trades

Do you happen to have a picture from one of your jobs or something? A better description?
  6. Hackney plumbing

Yes I have a picture.

[​IMG]
  7. Plumber111

Plumber111 In the Trades

Thanks. No, don't see them here. Or not yet anyway. It's a later model with the .com cast into it.

Why the the heck would they make this? Their bread and butter valve covers about every tank scenario I can think of. Compact and out of the way of the other workings.

Some sort of experimental run to get ready to change the whole line? Headscratcher...
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They make a few "proprietary" models. Kohler's low boy toilets have a version that operates sideways, but not like this one.
  9. gusherb94

gusherb94 Member

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread but this strikes my curiosity and I have a few guesses. First of all, does anyone know what model Amstd that is? Perhaps the OP can chime in. From that picture it appears as though it's set to a fixed water level? At least I can't see any way to adjust it from here. If that IS the case then I can see them doing this for ease of installation and to prevent water level tampering. It probably still uses the same old Fluidmaster seal that were accustomed to.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. Hackneyplumbing

Hackneyplumbing Homeowner

I don't remember what model American standard tank it was in.
  11. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Perhaps they made it because the design uses fewer or less-expensive parts, or requires less labor, to make.