Floor drain leading to a sump, with radon fan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a sump & pump to my lower level (4' below grade; slab on grade) during my remodel, and would ideally run a floor drain near and to the sump. That way, if there is ever a flood due to broken pipe, natural disaster, etc, I have a way to keep the water manageable.

I also have a radon fan that is about 20' from that location, and could generate some vacuum against the sump side of the floor drain I'd be looking to connect to the pump. I would be sealing the top of the sump so that it can't leak radon, moisture, etc to the home.

Does the floor drain concept work in this instance, or will the radon fan suck the trap dry? Are there other preferred ways to go about this?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Whether the radon fan could suck the trap would depend on how much air leaked into the sump system.

Rossn

Reaction score
Still researching, but it seems there are a few options:

1. Use a deep trap -- I'd still need to run some calcs, but think it would need to be a few inches deep. Some seem to be pretty deep.
2. Dranjer makes some sump pit seals seals with a floor drain and also some inserts for existing floor drains. Supposedly the Dranger F-R2 or F-S2 stay closed up to about 1.25" water column vacuum. Some use a ball and others use a rubber seal. http://www.dranjer.ca/pages/catalogue.htm
3. Some options such as ProVent Systems Trap Guard which is a shape memory material and also prevents backup: http://proventsystems.com/product-solutions/trap-guard/overview/
4. Various vent trap door systems, such as SureSeal, Mi-Gard, etc.

I'm not sure how much vacuum most of these can handle before opening. The last three have the benefit of not risking a trap that dries out and lets in sewer gas, bugs, etc.

Basement Systems uses a floating ball in their sump design that, when floating, allows water to drain into the sump pit. Unfortunately, they only sell their product if they install it.

Alina

Reaction score
These 4 options have pros and cons both, maybe call your local plumbers for some consultation - they must know exactly about vacuum issues and other.
Good guys in Hamilton, ON if somebody needs - Sump Pump Operation

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks