Flologic anyone know about this

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevep111

Reaction score
I am considering putting in a flologic anti flood system in my home. Has anyone ever used this system and do you have any thoughts or know of a better system? The cost is $1095 and installed would cost me $1500 total. We are away a great deal and hate to shut off the water because we get sedement in the pipes.

Thanks for your help in advance

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I think that would be a PIA (for me at least) and wouldn't help with 90% of issues that would flood a home. If you have issues with sediment in your pipes and are worried about a valve issue, what is going to make the flologic's valve immune to that?

Stevep111

Reaction score
UUUmmm the flologic is not to prevent sediment it is to seal off the pipes in case of a leak. If it senses a leak for more than 30 seconds it shuts off the water. Manually shutting off the water for weeks at a time is what I am trying to avoid. My question was not about that but about if anyone had any expereince with this system and knew pros and cons.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I looked into a system at one time, but didn't buy it. Can't remember the name, but flologic sounds familiar. Is there a website?

At the time I was investigating it, the cons were possible nuisance shut offs. That system was a "smart" system, which "learned" your usage patterns. It would shut off quickly after detecting a large amount of flow, but would also shut off after a small flow lasted more than a certain amount of time. And that system seemed not to be available through any regular channels. They were shopping for reps. So I had a lot of quiestions about the long-term viability of the company and the warranty.

nmcbride

Reaction score
I was googling around and found this old thread. I'm looking at the 'FloLogic' system.
https://www.amazon.com/FloLogic-System-3-5/dp/B01HF73UAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467060170&sr=8-1&keywords=flologic

I
read about it and it sounds promising, you get to program in your home 'Home' and 'Away' times, to help avoid nuisance shutoffs. I can't decide what would be more annoying, nuisance shutoffs due to time outs, or trying to place a water sensor everywhere in my home (like the WaterCop) - http://www.absoluteautomation.com/brands/DynaQuip-WaterCop.html - and ending up with a leak in the wall.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
$1500 is a lot to spend for the convenience, IMO. How hard is it to turn the main valve off before you leave? Maybe install a 1/4 turn ball-valve on the main inlet pipe to make it easier. I wouldn't trust an electronic device to protect my house. I've seen too many electronics fail to put my confidence in any of them. Do you also turn off your water heater when you leave?

Does the device come with an insurance policy (warranty) that protects your home if the device fails to work when needed?

nmcbride

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the warranty, typically these devices are only 'insured' to the value of the device. So no insurance against damage caused by a defective or non-functional device. However, it sounds like I will get a discount on my home insurance if/when I install one (either system).

My shut-off valve is at the far corner of a 3 foot crawl space (far corner from my access hatch), so it's annoying enough that I don't close the valve as often as I should.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I see the difficulty. Not trying to talk you into or out of anything - I wonder if you could move the main shutoff closer the crawlspace entrance by connecting some 1" PEX (or copper) tubing to the line where the water enters the crawlspace, then loop it around to the crawlspace entrance, with a shutoff valve located at the entrance, then finally back to the pipe that feeds into your house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
do like many dental offices do. Install a solenoid valve at the main shutoff with a toggle switch(es) by your door way. Just flip the switch when you leave to turn it off and flip it back when you return.

nmcbride

Reaction score
Ye
do like many dental offices do. Install a solenoid valve at the main shutoff with a toggle switch(es) by your door way. Just flip the switch when you leave to turn it off and flip it back when you return.

Yep, I've thought of that too. This WaterCop kit - http://www.absoluteautomation.com/water-cop-corporal-kit/ - is for exactly that, plus I can still use leak sensors with it.

My confidence in the kids hitting the 'off' button on their way the door is low though haha.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pipes bursting without a hard inside freeze is pretty rare, but flex lines bursting are less rare.

Since you are concerned, you could replace your toilet fill lines with chrome metal lines. You could put a quick-to use single lever shutoff or a timed shutoff valve for the washing machine such as Keeney Manufacturing 2354 . Kitchen sink and lavatories are harder, as is the dishwasher. Maybe you could identify a more robust version of those.

Water heater T+P valve not closing up.... Hmmm. Since you live in a freeze area, that is tougher.

Anyway, reducing the points of potential bursting might help you feel a little better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks